May 10, 2013

No Makeup!

Women, you know who you are, go around a lot with a lot of makeup on. A lot of make-ups have SPF in them, which I hate. That can make your face look shinny.

But, not the point of this article.

Have you ever met anyone a woman who didn't wear makeup? Sometimes it's a shock and sometimes. . not so much. Now, I like wearing my makeup for both accessorizing and for insecurity reasons. I have dark circles around my eyes, a little Bell's Palsy and now wrinkles around my eyes and across my forehead.
Light makeup Maddy

So, what all do I do to myself almost every morning?

What's Makeup?
There is some concern among those who wear makeup about what is in it - it use to be blood and ashes and wax back in the day. Things might have gotten either better or worse depending. Organic makeup, pure makeup and products with those types of words attached are a booming business.

Here is a list of ingredients from L'Oreal Double Extend Lash Extension Effect Mascara, Blackest Black

Water - Aqua, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Beeswax - Cera Alba, Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba, Steareth-2, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal, Rayon, Panthenol, Ethylenediamine/Stearyldimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Methylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Disodium EDTA, Ethylparaben, Simethicone, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Titanium - CI 77891 - May Contain, Water - Aqua, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat.,  Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolyme, Isohexadecane, Phenoxyethanol, Rayon, Polysorbate 80, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Disodium EDTA, Silica, Ethylparaben, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77491 - CI 77492 - May Contain, Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain, Mica - May Contain, Carmine - CI 75470 - May Contain, Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain, Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain, Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain, Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510

That's a lot - and that's one product.

Noticing the World
There is a fear about being caught without makeup or not being perfect. I see my coworkers who have two or three mirrors at their desks to make sure they are "perfect" from every angle. How about we drop this need for perfection in how we look and be honest and open with what we have going on.

I know some celebrities have been Tweeting or otherwise sending out photos of their faces without makeup - but they are sort of the mutants of the world. I never grew up around people with Hollywood's resources and abundant looks so I sort of decided I would side with what I saw everyday in the people I lived and not to put much faith in these attractive, polished pictures of strangers.

Without Makeup
As I stated, I like wearing makeup. I don't see it as a need to be perfect but I do like how I look and feel when I wear it.

I wonder how people would respond, think or react if I stopped. There would be some reaction - well, if I am any good at putting on makeup. I think this is normal and natural, like when someone dyes his/her hair and you notice. At least, I notice and just file it away in my brain.

So - what would life be like without makeup after living for at least 10 years with makeup (that's right, I probably started wearing makeup in college).

Let's cut to the chase - here is me without makeup, hair back and just sitting on my couch.

All makeup off
Are you willing to be part of this adventure? Take off your makeup and post a photo of yourself for the world to see. Try going a week without makeup, figure out how it feels or if there is anything to feel.

Winners never lie, by the way - let's show the generations below us and in front of us what's really going on.

Truth
If I get some good response, I will engage in a stellar new adventure - not wearing a scrap of makeup for a whole week - that means not during work, not at play, not out to eat, nada. But, since I am also chicken, I'm not going to be doing this alone.

Anyone else in?

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

2 comments:

Age said...

Manda- Last time you saw me, I was wearing the most makeup I ever do. Rice Powder coverup. Generally speaking, I wear none, ever. Except job interviews and weddings.

Maddie said...

I have a lot of friends who do not wear makeup. The idea is you develop a comfort zone and pushing yourself out of it. :)

Post a Comment