May 17, 2013

Pierce Ears

Mission Level: Fail.

I don't have pierced ears. I wouldn't actually know how to even wear earrings right - what styles and colors might match what I am wearing or my head.

I took up belly dancing for a while - about two years - as a way to start getting active once I started getting healthier. I did end up going a little overboard for my condition and I ended up having to walk around with a cane and all this stuff. Ooops.

Background
One of my last shows
My belly dance teacher would make most of our costumes and earrings would always be something we'd wear. She had to make something special for me and then she was puzzled over why I didn't have pierced ears.

My Mom does not have pierced ears. Nor do I come from a culture where babies have their ears pierced before they are one for some reason. I think even if I did, my Mom would not have done it.

83% of American women have pieced ears. I am little uncommon and annoying when it comes to accessorizing. My belly dance teacher told me I should get mine done for my birthday. You know, to give me time to think about it.

I did think about it. It seems like a lot of work filling those holes with jewelry  Besides, I think the practice is a little odd. You make a hole in your body to hang stuff off of for beauty? Well, I think sometimes it can be attractive - yet, still odd.

I did get many presents of earrings from relatives and friends of the family - which I gave to any number of my friends who all had pierced ears. They knew how to make them work.

Challenge Fail
I didn't get my ears pierced. I don't think I ever will. Even surrounded by 83% if the population. It's too much of a lifestyle situation and commitment for me. I think it is a lot like my No Makeup post - I never had earrings so no one expects them and it's just not part of my personal style. For someone else who always had them, s/he can feel naked or incomplete without them.

And those little holes always looked a little weird to me.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment