May 24, 2013

Mineral Oil Test

I like Proactiv, it works for me. I soon will have to go back on the site and sign up for more of their products. I only use the cleanser, toner and moisturizer - no other reason to try other stuff when the core group of products really work well.

If you want to check out my adventure with Proactiv, you can read it in my Try Proactiv post.

Background
I'm not some type of super nature person. I like what I like and I like stuff that works. I do have a lot of blackheads which I love to attack but can't keep up with. I don't like seeing them in the mirror though I know it's hard to see them if you are just talking to me.

Proactiv now has this blackhead dissolving gel that, of course, provides the same awesome results as everything else.

Dissolve, eh? What witchcraft is this?

What I Know
If we knew how to dissolve blackheads, why do we have them? Simple, no one easy way. Good thing I have the Internet to support any view I can fathom!

I came across a site that told me mineral oil (you know, baby oil) actually will dissolve blackheads.Why? Well, blackheads - known as comedos - are made up of oil and junk and you-stuff. You know, you-stuff. Your pores are jammed with your own awesome - skin oils, sweat, dead skin, everything. There is just so much in there, sometimes, it gets stuck.

Anyhow, an oil won't mix or respond to soap. It will respond to oils. The oil your skin produces is made to make you waterproof and keep everything clean.

To the Drug Store
Mineral oil is also a good to get off sticky stuff, by the way. You can even drink it In small portions. It will oil up your insides. You know what that means - poops!
Mineral oil

No, I'm not going to drink it.

Anyhow, I trotted to the drug store to find mineral oil. I spent a lot of time circling the bath and skin care section without any luck. Then I decided to try the baby aisle.

It was in the baby aisle (which is a scary aisle) under the baby oil. If you look on the back of the bottle, it's mineral oil (plus fragrance). I left with this and ready to give myself my own facial.

If you have really fragile or sensitive skin, you might want to try to find oil without fragrance. I am inpatient and my skin is not sensitive.

I did have a professional facial once a long time ago. My skin was horrible and it didn't solve all my problems. There is always the quest to find that one thing that will solve all your problems. I think it's more like "embrace the journey" or "endure the highs and lows." I'll refine that up one day. In the meantime, I have baby oil.

Process
The process to clean your face with this stuff is fairly simple:
  • Wash: Wash your face and hands. Get off any makeup or dirt. Give yourself a nice, long wash. I like to run the warm water on my hands and give my skin a nice rub so your pores open up.
  • Apply oil: Keep your hands warm and rub some oil between your hands. Then massage the oil in circle motions all over you skin. Do this for a minute or so. Get into the areas you have a lot of blackheads. My nose is a huge blackhead mega-city. Be gentle, no need to rub very hard - just keep massaging. 
  • Set: Run a washcloth under hot water and then rest it on your face - or most of your face if you are watching TV like I was. The point is to keep your skin warm and your pores open to give the oil a chance to go to the blackheads and say, "hello friend, run away with me!"
  • Rinse: After maybe two cycles of warming the washcloth and keeping it on your skin, use it to gently wipe off the oil.
  • Wash: Doesn't hurt (ok, I did this) to wash your face off with soap again to get all the oil off. 
Does It Work?
I don't know, actually, I read a lot of stuff saying how you shouldn't use mineral oil. Or it would oil up your skin. Or not. Who knows.

For me, it worked. My blackheads were dramatically reduced after one treatment. The next day, my skin felt more open. I did do a little picking-pushing (I love popping stuff) and got out some good stuff on my forehead. I don't think this is actually all important. 

I do see a reduction in the blackheads - even after a few days. My skin is normally a little on the oily side and it is not more oily after using the oil. It's delightfully smooth. I'll have my heroic gentleman caller check it out for me to get another opinion. I don't think I am around anyone else who I can ask to feel my face for science.


Future Plans
I tried this thing twice. I also got an extractor so I can get out more junk from my face. I'm one step closer to my dream of seeing how much junk I can get out of my pores in a year. I'd have to store it. It would be gross. It would be for science!

I think I will keep using this treatment - maybe once a week or twice a month. Whenever I feel like it. I will see how my skin responds. So far, so good! Give it a shot.

Also, mineral oil removes bike chain oil from skin. Yeah, I am out biking.


Also. . .
By the way, normally when your body overproduces something - like oil or even acid in your tummy - you don't want to counter it. If you think about it, your body is over producing because it doesn't think there is ENOUGH. If you counter with the same type of thing - more oil, more acid - it can actually fix the situation because your body registers there is too much and will balance itself out. This is why people will do a shot of vinegar (acid) to cure heartburn. Of course, check with a doctor. There are times this is not the best thing to do.

However, with oily skin, sometimes when you use so much stuff to dry it out, your body tries to produce more oil because it didn't think there was enough in the first place. The good thing with oily skin, by the way, less chance of wrinkles. That's what my Mom said, and she's a stone-cold fox!

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Oil from ecx.images-amazon.com
Blackhead graphic from 3.bp.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment