May 6, 2013

First Injury

Back on Saturday, April 27 2013 I fell. I fell in front of Rita's Water Ice. I caught my heel on my pant leg and went down - directly on my left and then right knee. I didn't even have time to put my hands out until I was on the ground.

Ouch
Anyone who said humiliation doesn't work as a motivator has never fallen in front of a huge line at Rita's Water Ice. I was on my feet and back to my car (and the ice-melting hotness of my guy) in seconds. Once I got back to his place, I was able to inspect my damage.

My knees hurt and  had these awesomely painful bruises and skinning. Some people suggested I sue them. Let's face it, I fell because I am no graceful. And crap happens.

Fast Forward
I was a kid once, I totally would have scuffed knees and elbows all the time. Dumping some Hydrogen Peroxide on it reminded me of Bactine torture sessions - ahh, childhood.

After a couple days, I started to wonder if maybe I had become more of a wuss because I was still limping and in increasing pain all over a skinned knee. I also couldn't sleep due to the pain. At least when I had pain from being sick, I was too exhausted not to sleep. I once slept for three days - minus about four hours for eating and using the restroom (and getting up, walking into the living room saying, "nope, not today" and going back to bed).

Worry + Sleepy
After having to leave work early due to pain, my friend told me to go to Rothman Institute to get it looked at. Now, I don't have a good scale for pain tolerance - tends to be high - and I wanted to go to the ER if I didn't get some relief after six days.

I was beginning to worry I did some serious damage. If I can't walk, can't bend my knee and can't not want to kill people because I can't sleep due to the pain - and the pain itself sucks. . .how am I going to bike 270 miles? Or 25 miles.

Remember, I got bike rides and training and standing I have to do. (I got it all mapped out on My Year In Biking post!) An injury would totally ruin my whole. .you know, training thing I do.

What I Learned
After some x-rays and two exams, the doctors told me I did not break anything or tear anything. That was pretty cool. What I did have was a bilateral knee contusion.

The simple explanation

It sounds sort of weird - bruised bone - but what it is? It's a ton of tiny little fractures on the surface of the bone due to a direct impact injury that results in a lot of pain and 6-8 weeks of recovery time.

Best eatable ice pack
I got some better anti-inflammatory medication and instructions to rest and ice it.

I don't have ice packs, but I Trader Joe's Berry Medley fruit blend which works great. Frozen corn and peas always work great. However, you want to avoid large frozen things like strawberries or cherries.

I have turned down the pain from "everyone @#$ing die!" to "oooouch!" which is good for everyone I'm in contact with.

I did pull it together to go to my guy's house to make him some chicken soup since he got wacked with some horrible sickness this weekend. Between the two of us, we are a functioning human.

The Future
I'm still in a good deal of pain and I am not sure how things are going to do go at work since I have to stand a lot or sit and I won't have access to much ice. All the kitchens are located a good distance from me. I am thinking I will bring in a cooler and have one of the guys set up a tall chair in my training room. Should keep me from needing a cane or killing someone.

Otherwise, I think I am pretty much on my own with this. People are really busy around this time of the year. Even Twitter has been dull. Boo!

My handsome man-caller has also been awesome. He has been dealing with the flu or the zombie plague or something. Poor guy.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Berry mix from fatsecret.com

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Your local drug store should have instant ice packs, they have a couple of chemicals in them separated delicately that you crack like a glow stick and when they mix instead of pretty glowing lights you get cold.

No ice, no dripping, they can pack in your purse or desk drawer until you need them.

Post a Comment