Jan 23, 2013

Read 20 Book: Update

It’s not going well, faithfully followers and random people who came to this page. It is not going well. If you remember, I said I was going to read 20 books in 10 months in my Read 20 Books challenge.

I have estimated I have a good chunk of free time during the week. This time is sucked up with some volunteering I do, wash, getting food, crying, hanging out with friends and cleaning out the cat box. It’s still a good chunk of time and I should be able to get some reading done.

By this point, I should have already finished a book. I have not. Ok, I did read one of these free books of Amazon. I mean, I read it. And it was horrible. I don’t want to count it. 

I am actually 50% of the way through my first book, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. You would think it would have all the elements in it to get me hooked – interesting narration, unique writing structure, Nazis. . .and yet.

I was really into in for a section or two but then I started to lose interest in it. I think it is because I am waiting for action to move more swiftly. I think Zusak does a great job of using few words to describe a lot of stuff and now I feel like I have been reading the same thing over and over and over again.

I am waiting for some event or action to move the story along.

I even like the “spoiler alerts” plastered in the book. I like the character of the narrator. But, I have no desire to continue reading it so it has been a little bit of a struggle. 

Shame, I am not sure why. 

I feel like a failure a lot these days.

My New Toy
So, where is my time going?

After months and months of debate, I did go out and buy a Galaxy Tab 2 for myself. This might be another reason I am not getting any reading done. The idea was that I would have a portable device to help me get some writing done and keep in touch. I'm never that far from wireless and the people I know who have them rave about them.

So, I am now a member of Big Fish Games Unlimited and am tearing through the Dark Parables series in hopes it soothes my heart until Mystery Case Files releases their next game. I'm a sucker for a good puzzle or hidden object type game. I even have been playing some card games to try to keep my mind sharp for when I sit down and play my boyfriend.

Anyhow, all these things are not reading.

What I Have Been Doing
While I have not been reading that much, I have been writing. Here’s sort of what I have been doing in place of reading: 
  • Moved my blog to AdventuringAmanda.blogspot.com (have more to do).
  • Worked on my series short stories. 
  • Caught up on blog post – I don’t just write them the day before, you know. 
  • Beat Dark Parables: The Frog Prince (seeking other games).
  • Set up my Galaxy Nexus Tab 2. 
Right, busy.

What I Will Do
I’m going to finish this book. I really am. I am still shooting for 20 books in 10 months. I just need to either hunker down and do it or find books that better keep my interest. 

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Book from npr.org

0 comments:

Post a Comment