Feb 4, 2013

Manda's Musings: Desktop Ideas

Everyone has different ways that they operate in the world. Because I am vain and have a blog, I figured I would start writing some posts that cover what I think makes life easier or maybe some off-the-wall things I do that I might as well document here because when I mention them to people in conversation they look at me weird.

Also, this will help give me some postings when I can't actually be doing thing that, you know, cost money. Oddly enough, me writing (and talking too much) rarely cost money.

Besides, I find other people's ideas and way they conduct business in the world helpful. Maybe I'll be helpful.

Why?
This whole concept was birthed when I found that the pitiful skills I have obtained over my 32 documented years in existence were actually helpful to someone else – like, I know a lot about poop. Output, people. Your output is important and can tell you many, many valuable things about your health and position in the universe.

Custom Desktop
For my first entry, I am going to just explain how I class up my workspace with a custom background.

I like decorating up my desktop with a nice background (wallpaper, monitor background, thingy). Now, I have photos of my friends and family around my desk at work but I spend most of my time staring at my computer. So, why not put some pictures there.

Not really a groundbreaking thought, lots of people have a picture up of friends, family or pets. I just, don’t want to stare at one photo all day. That bothers my need for visual interest. Besides, I have more than one interest when it comes to my friends, family and pets.

This is what I created as my desktop background:

Identities have been delicately protected 
Ever since I put this up and had some visitors and did some Webexs, people have pointed out that they like the idea of being able to customize a desktop with more than just one picture.
How To
To create this, all you really need is a simple program like PowerPoint. I don’t have a lot of fancy stuff where I work because I don’t need it, I tend to have to use PowerPoint if I am going to create something. It doesn’t work too bad, you have a lot of options and you can always “Save As” a jpeg. Plus, keeping the ppt means I can go in and change out pictures and items as I want.

I'm sure someone out there is a wiz in Photoshop and can do a lot better than me.

First, I found a background image I liked – that was from pptbackgrounds.net. I like sticking to a desk theme. And I do like notepads and coffee.

Then I found the some pictures - one from my brother’s wedding, my hot boyfriend and one of, you know, the cat being a ham. I applied a “Drop Shadow Rectangle” from the Picture Tools option and a little black boarder to add some style.  

I also added a little text message from my boyfriend, a funny logo from redbubble.com (they have fun t-shirts) and, of course, a master detective badge from Mystery Case Files.

The Point
The point, right. Well, some people really like this concept of making a custom desktop. Give it a try. I think you could do something that looks more scrapbook-like or even something that has a olde world feel. You can create a virtual shadowbox of an event or vacation – you are limited only by your imagination.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment