Feb 13, 2013

Surviving Lent - GO!

Lent is here, today being Ash Wednesday. Yesterday was Fat Tuesday also known as Mardi Gras or Fausnaught Day or Stove Tuesday which, if you didn't know, is the last hurrah before 40 days of reflection, self-sacrifice and normally giving something up, also known as Lent.

Lent is actually 46 days, but Catholics are bad at math so we call it 40 days.

The idea of Lent of it is to mimic the 40 days Jesus was in the desert alone with the Devil, who was being a jerk. Lent ends with Easter which celebrates Jesus' rise from the dead. It's a busy 40 days in the Catholic calendar.

I always give up something for lent but after not having something for 40 days, I don't tend to bring it back into my life. Hence, I don't really repeat stuff. (I normally mess up about 6 days in Lent so 40 works).

I like steak
Here is the standard stuff I give up:
  • Potato chips.
  • Alcohol.
  • Sweet treats, ice cream, etc.
  • Meat on Wednesday and Friday.
  • Soda.
In past years, I have given up more than 1 cup of coffee a day and even did a juice fast on Wednesdays and Fridays. I have tried to fast (as in not eat anything) Wednesday and Friday.

Last week, I learned the Catholic's definition of fasting is a lot different than mine. According to americancatholic.org:
Fasting as explained by the U.S. bishops means partaking of only one full meal. Some food (not equaling another full meal) is permitted at breakfast and around midday or in the evening—depending on when a person chooses to eat the main or full meal.  
Abstinence forbids the use of meat, but not of eggs, milk products or condiments made of animal fat. 
Abstinence does not include meat juices and liquid foods made from meat. Thus, such foods as chicken broth, consomme, soups cooked or flavored with meat, meat gravies or sauces, as well as seasonings or condiments made from animal fat are not forbidden. So it is permissible to use margarine and lard. Even bacon drippings which contain little bits of meat may be poured over lettuce as seasoning.
I apparently was on ultra-catholic mode. I will dial that back, for sure. 

Perspective
I don't "enjoy" Lent, by any means. I enjoy the debauchery celebration of Easter, though, which is only fun because of Lent. Oh, and because of Jesus.

I'm not a "good" Catholic - I am an argumentative one.

Lent, to me, has always been a time of refection. I can't say I have stumbled in my faith - I believe in God and that has never been shaken but I have not always agreed with the Catholic church. I look at the Catholic like a good friend - I don't always agree but I respect and tolerate these differences and work through them in my own way.

I always held the traditions as much as possible for the comfort of knowing my family members who have long been gone have been through the same rituals and maybe even grappled with the same thoughts and issues.

Lent gives an additional piece of thought of  because when you give up what you think is really hard, and then look at the world, you see how much your "necessities" are "luxuries." Giving up some of these "luxuries" and turning my attention back to taking care of those around me would probably earn a thumbs-up from Jesus.

Lucky
Service to the community has often been something I toyed with rather than givig something up. My service related thing is named "Lucky." I think if I was ever going to be in service in anyway, it would have something to do with animals.

Anyhow, I always encourage my friends to take some time or days out to engage in this spirit of Lent - you don't have to even believe in God to spend some time in reflection.

I do celebrate the spirit of Rosh Hashanah - which I think it a brilliant time to celebrate a New Year.

This Year
This year, I didn't come up with anything to really give up - other than the norm. I am going to try to get by with less. I'm going to take care of Lucky and those in my life. I think I might have to go back to my old stand by, which is staying a Rosary every night.

I need a Rosary. I tend to just use my fingers because, you know, kids can't have nice things.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment