Feb 8, 2013

Work Buffets

I work for a company that feeds its people a lot. We are always having potlucks or some type of snacks – it’s probably life with a chance of cake every day in this place.

First, it’s a nice thing to do and it’s nice to see whole teams participating in baking and cooking. This is the second company I worked for that claims you will gain 15lbs when you start.

I lost 20lbs since I started here, but, that really is not related to the food availability here. I am somewhat fortunate I am a corporate trainer so I can be away from my desk and walking around in front of a class a couple weeks a month. I’m away from the foods and probably burning a couple more calories than those who have to stay at their desk all day.

Work and Food Budget
Being fed at work means less money you have to spend feeding yourself. You can spend this money on things like rent and booze and shoes.

Having your own plate also helps with savaging. You should be aware at all times of any
  • Big-wig meetings. 
  • Wedding showers. 
  • Pregnancy celebrations. 
  • Last days. 
  • First days. 
If there is food left over, it is normally moved to some central location for us vultures. However, you want to load up before Sugar-Addicted Suzie can launch on the “Happy Retirm. . .” cake.

Weight-Work Connection
You're welcome
I learned a couple ways to keep fit, trim and on the move while being exposed to mass quantities of food. In no way do I want to gain 15lbs by accident.

15lbs is equal to about $27.22 cents in pennies.

To keep this weight off, well, I was born lucky with the inability to properly exist after consuming canola oil or vinegar. That chops out a lot of foods people bring in or make.

Sometimes I cry lucky tears over my beloved BBQ sauce knowing I shall never taste its tangy sweetness on my lips again. Parting is tangy sorrow. . . 

Next, I found investing in my own flatware and working the system with quiet efficiency works like a charm.
  • Flatware: Peoplemake food for a large group, they rarely remember plates – or we have super cheap plates. Additionally, when leftovers are left in the community areas, there aren't often plates.
    Wedding showers. 
  • Quiet Efficiency: You want to hit up your buffet lines or heaps of leftovers quickly and efficiently in order to make the best choices. This is no time to putts around or dilly-dally waiting for someone else to get in there with plates. You want to get in and get out.
  • Decent Manners: You want to make sure you don’t overdo it and take too much. You should be leaving some for the other children (and yet, be first in line because not everyone thinks that way) and you probably don’t want to gain 15lbs.
Acquisition of Flatware
Remains of my breakfast
Plastic forks and knives suck. SUCK. Have you ever tried cutting meat with a plastic fork? Have you ever been able to find the knife or did you ever try to cut through something with a plastic spoon because you were desperate?

Shoot - I can't even properly spread cream cheese with a plastic fork.

I only have four of everything in my abode, ‘cept large plates, I have three because I broke one. I’m surprised everything has lasted this long, frankly.

Anyhow, I don’t want to bring in my stuff. Plus, you never want to bring in something to work you can’t leave behind or that would crush you if it broke. Lot of weird @#$% can do down in a work place.

Just buy yourself one of each for work. I ended up going to Home Goods and into their super-amazing-get-it-out-of-here sale aisle  I found myself a salad plate that meets all my needs. Needs? Right. It’s square. I dislike round things.

Mm, veggies
You could also get yourself one of those portion control plates. That’ll make you popular. You can also find other designs and what not - another type is found on preciseportions.com.

If you happen to not like people touching your stuff or hate germs or whatever, having your own flatware limits other people touching what you will eat off of. You know how sometimes they lick their fingers to separate the plates.

And when the was the last time they all washed their hands? Right.



Efficiently
Once you have you own flatware (and yes, plates count as flatware) when you know someone has a potluck going down, you can grab your own plate and head on over. Get right in line there, get all the gooie, salty, meaty, deep-fried, chocolate-covered, rainbow-jimmied and bacon-wrapped excellence supplied by others in one fell swoop.

Sure, it’s nice to prove to everyone you are polite by lingering and chatting about how good everything looks. I like to say I’m hungry and I’m not ashamed to be the first in line.

Remember, in a wolf pack, the alpha male and female eat first. By having your own plate and utensils, you don’t have to spend time in the bottleneck like others. If someone comments that you are haughty for bringing your own plate, say the following:

Buffet face

Hello friend, I just want to preserve a world free of trash and do my part to prevent the imminent apocalypse for the little children. Sure, no one is going to call me a hero, but, but, you know I’m all about trying to make the world a better place. Especially for the dolphins and koalas. But, hey, how does it feel to be contributing to the estimated 970,000 tons of paper plates being thrown away every year? Let’s talk about that.

You limit looking stupid by dropping your food everywhere, too. A sturdy plate not only adds a touch of class in the corporate world, it won’t bend under a sauce or buckle if Loud Larry backhands your plate while telling one of his classic so-not-funny joke.

Final Thoughts
Being fed is pretty cool. However, you are going to want to make sure you bring in your own fair share of food or else people will not invite you to the buffet line or give you the all important heads-up when there is unexplained public food.

Bring in some donuts or chocolate. This keeps the masses happy.

My spirit animal is the flying fox – a bat – and bats know it’s important to do their part for the colony. It’s called reciprocal altruism.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image CreditPennies from Wiki

0 comments:

Post a Comment