Feb 1, 2013

Volunteer

Mission Level
Success! And ongoing.

Most people seem to want to volunteer, at least, I always did. I think one of the most valuable things you can give someone is your time. You can always save a couple bucks to give to some charity or attend a function or buy a product where a portion is donated – but to give your time. . .

Money comes and goes. Words are pretty airy.

You are only given a very specific and measured amount of time.

Time is huge.

You can do a lot with time.

My Pre-Volunteering Life
I grew up in a pretty charitable house. Even today, once a month my Mom buys baby food and delivers it to Catholic Services for their food pantry.

We always got our Christmas wreaths from the Boy Scouts (and later our Christmas trees).

Giving
I won't go as far as to say "giving back" because I don't think I am paying someone or something back. I think giving is just giving. I'm not paying forward or back or karma. It's about just helping out because you can and not expecting anything  back.
Adopt-a-highway

As a friend once told me, ". . .it's a giant waste of time or money." Ha. Basically  At least you are doing something to improve the world. Sometimes things have to come from your own heart entirely.

As a child, I rode at a stable called Thorncroft that mixed people in therapy (emotional, mentally or physically handicapped) and participated in a study which showed how riding a horse stimulates the same muscles as walking and does a whole other bunch of good stuff.

I even participated in a “Adopt-a-Highway” program through my job.

First Steps – What to Do?
I hemmed and hawed about what I was going to do for quite some time – mentoring kids, stocking food banks. Soup kitchens.

I think there are three things you need to figure out when volunteering.
  • What skill someone else could use that you have.
  • How much actual time you have.
  • Where to go to participate in something. 
You can figure these out in any order you would like. Then it’s just a matter of finding out where you can fit.

Time
You are going to have to figure out how much time you actually have to donate. Remember, even as a volunteer you need to be true to your word, show up when you are asked to and do the best job you can.

I find a lot of people who say they can do something often do not honor their commitments. This includes the famous, “I will totally help out. I’ll be in touch!” Which ends up to mean, “I never wanted to do anything and have no intention of following-up.”

You don’t get paid to volunteer and it is work (even if it’s fun). It can suck up an otherwise lazy Saturday or a busy Monday night. Know the amount of time you can donate and pretend it is your job. People will rely on you when you say you can do something – they will get hopeful. Don’t lie and crush their spirits.

If all you can do is an hour every month, show up for that hour and month. If you can do three times a week, show up three times a week. If you find you want to do more or have to do less, make arrangements and be transparent about why.

Anything is better than just not showing up.

Skills
A lot of places look for people with certain skills or abilities. Maybe you are an accountant or a lawyer or even a carpenter. These are pretty useful skills to non-profits or small places with all volunteer staffs.

You might have skills. My skills include:
  • Archery. 
  • Falling down. 
  • Napping.
  • Uno.
But, don’t short-sell yourself and over think like I do. Skills also include:
What makes you happy? What do you like to do? Someone wants you to do that for them, I promise you. Plus, you have the opportunity to meet some people and have some fun – even if you are just picking up trash or running a cash register at a thrift shop.

Finding a Place
There are a lot of big groups you can look up like the Salvation Army, Big Brothers Big Sisters or even a place like Volunteer Match which covers a lot of different groups. You can even find places that you can travel while doing a good thing (if you have the funds to do this, don’t ever expect a volunteer operation to give you something – other than the feeling you get from helping out).

Religious groups like a local church is another awesome place to go to get in some grassroots volunteering since they often work very close to the community. You don’t have to be religious or a member to participate. Remember, you don’t have to subscribe to a spiritual path to drop off a casserole once a month to feed the hungry.

What I Did
Cuddle ambush
I fell into my volunteering situation. I had wanted to do something through the church because they have a lot of sturdy programs, but, I shied away because it can cause me a lot of anxiety to meet new people and stuff.

Here’s the story: I went to adopt a cat. The cat was already adopted. I got another cat. I got on the adoption email list. They emailed they needed help at the kennels. I cleaned cages in the store where the most adoptable cats go bi-monthly for three months. Then I learned they needed help in their shelter where sick/weird or recovering cats are. I now clean little boxes of poop there for 20-30 cats.

In the process, I went through three Feline Leukemia positive cats – fostering them in my own house. But, more on fostering later.

So, now I am a volunteer cat woman.

Future Plans
Finding something you like – even something you aren't good at but can learn – is a great way to give back. I’m not great with kids or people. I don’t want to go into a big city or be part of a huge committee. I just want to do my thing, get my hands dirty and go home. I enjoy the interaction with the cats.

After all, in the beginning, God gave man dominion over the animals. This means we are suppose to protect and take care of them. So, I am doing my little part.

Also, it totally breaks up my week. It’s something different to do and I have met some people I otherwise would never have known.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment