Nov 25, 2015

Side Effects of my Life: Thrush

Just when you thought you couldn't be having a more super-awesome life - you get thrush. You wanna WebMD that? Here you go!

Small amounts of the candida fungus are present in the mouth, digestive tract, and skin of most healthy people. They are normally kept in check by other bacteria and microorganisms in the body. However, certain illnesses, stress, or medications can disturb the delicate balance, causing the fungus candida to grow out of control and causing thrush.
Medications that upset the balance of microorganisms in the mouth and may cause thrush include:
  • Corticosteroids
  • Antibiotics
  • Birth control pills

Corticosteroids - that's what I'm on. Hydrocortisone, to be exact, which I take for my adrenal insufficiency situation. When I get thrush, it means I have been taking my meds (mm, yays?) and I also probably have a full blown yeast overgrowth in my gut. Awesome-sauce!

This is kind of what it looks like in the mouth - I was on treatment for a little when I thought to snap this to show what life is like on this side of the adrenal glands.


Gross? Well, life is gross. Get over it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment