Jan 28, 2013

Rejected Request: Donating Blood

I got a request in - yays! - which was pretty straightforward -
Donate blood.
Vampires
I have to reject this challenge. I have never donated blood products or other body parts and I am not an organ donor. I think if you can donate blood, blood products or be an organ donor, it would be a good thing for the world. Blood donations are used mostly during emergency situations since it's standard practice to bank your own blood if the doctors believe you might lose a lot of blood.

My blood and organs might be contaminated with cysts of my infections. Blood banks cannot and/or do not screen for the types of infections I have had and there is no standard test to determine if I am carrying dormant infections. For this reason, I will never donate.

I don't think I could live with myself if I passed on sickness to someone who needed a transfusion due to a car accident or even because of cancer or other illnesses.

Know Your Blood
Getting normal check-ups and blood tests are the best way to make sure you know what is going on with your health. As I never will donate blood, I never knew my blood type so I did want to find that out. First, it's good to know. Second, I wanted to put it on my tags I use when I go biking that has all my critical information on them.

I used a company called RoadID to make mine and they have a good guide on what to put on these tags should you be in an accident.

I got the Blood Type Eldoncard Typing Test Kit from Amazon and failed in doing anything right. Mostly the pricking of my finger - I didn't bleed that much. I thought my blood type was B- but, thankfully, I figured I probably did something wrong and asked my doctor.

Me: Can I get a blood type test?
Doctor: Why?
Me: If I am in an accident, I can print it on my ID tags.
Doctor: You know, they never go by that, they will test you even if you have it written down.
Me: I still want to know.
Doctor: Ok.
Ends up, I'm B+. Mofo be positive!

Me and my 8.5% rock

Where You Can Donate
If you would like to take on this challenge for me, I highly encourage it! Only about 40% of Americans donate blood.

Just make sure you are healthy, visit the doctor to make sure your blood is good and avoid giving blood if you have had certain infections that might be passed through blood and are not screened for. Here are some sources:
Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Graphic from wildonfitness.com
Blood from nursing4n00bs.tumblr.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment