May 13, 2012

Manda's Century: Hangover Cure Found

This week was a busy one - both with some dating items and then with my brother getting married. I need a lot of work to be presentable for the public and photos which someone might be looking at down the road.

I mimic art
I did get out riding, of course, as I keep telling myself I need to get a lot stronger if I am going to do this century. I feel I am crumbling a little under the constant "encouragement" from others who tell me how I only need to ride 75 miles to be able to do a century or that it's just about getting use to sitting for four hours on a bike.

Sure, if I was 100% healthy.

But, encouragement is encouragement and even if I do not agree with the sentiment, I never doubt the spirit.

Ride Report
It was raining all week and I also had a date on Thursday which was my normal biking day. However, I did get out once during the week, even though I was feeling highly unmotivated. In fact, it wasn't motivation, it was residual fear that I was doing too much, I was too tired. I didn't do my normal route, I just started riding around on my bike.

Ah, bike rides.

It was spritzing a little bit, and I figured I could turn back home if it started raining. Jazzy and I would go through the rain, but, I am not sure I want to subject Dolce to water yet. I also heard that riding a road bike on wet roads changes a lot of things. I did not notice anything different. By the end of the ride, I ended up doing a surprising 10 miles.

Surprise
I was struggling to do about 6 miles at the start. I just wanted to turn around and go back home. I ended up doing some steeper hills in the area and everything. It was just a voice in the back of my mind warning me that my adrenals could crash at anytime.

How is riding a bike for normal people? What would there be to fear?

My bother got married on Friday, so I woke up Saturday feeling a little run down and with a couple extra bobby pins in my hair. I wasn't hung over, but, I had been up at all hours of the night with the food I ate sitting like molten lead in my belly.

I think this might be what a snake feels like after it eats a deer.

Burp
Since I knew today is Mother's Day and probably going to rain, I pulled myself together and got out for a ride. I got out later than I normally do, but, it was fine. I did make sure I drank a lot before hand so I knew I was hydrated. The best way to know if you are hydrated is to make sure you pee and your pee is on the clearer side.

However, this ride was a struggle. It was a different route than I normally take. This time, the fatigue kicked in and I opted to hit my 30 mile mark instead of the 35 I was hoping for.

It's ok
I struggle to be a class C rider, I believe. I am still happy with it. I find I can normally keep at 14mph. Now, to just get stronger. I actually felt 100% better after my ride as far as being stiff or having tummy issues or anything - all those things that were leftover from the wedding vanished after my ride. Joy!

However, I have had to return naps into my existence on the weekends. I use to have to nap all the time when I was sick. Nap, pass out. . .be unable to move. It does give me good results. I'm not sure if other bikers nap. Shh.


Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.


Image Credit
Snake from weirdpalace.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment