Jan 14, 2013

Diet Challenges - Three Times the Charm

Chips in the back!

Someone who knows me probably suggested this one.
Eat a normal, healthy diet.
Yes, this is from someone who knows me. I suppose a pot of coffee and bag of potato chips is not "healthy."  I @#$%ing love potato chips.

Define Healthy
The question this request begs is, "what is healthy?"

I actually also have friends who choose to be vegan or vegetarian - and even some friends who are more militant about it than others. I happen to eat pretty much anything, just not a lot of processed food, fast food or prepackaged food.



An appetizer, if you will, of World Eats
In my travels on the Internet, I did find the What the World Eats which shows families around the world with the amount of food and types of foods they eat in an average week. I don't tend to look at it as if everyone must have access to certain foods in order to be happy, I look at it as how "normal" is different for everyone. It probably isn't a bad idea to learn from others.

Science and dietitians still struggle to find out what is the "perfect" diet. It changes yearly, monthly - daily? Carbs, no carbs. Meat, no meat. More of something, less of another. Diets - complicated. And I am not even talking about "diets" just to lose weight, I'm talking about diets as in the habit of eating.

My Diet
I boiled down my average weekly food consumption - the items I eat and quantity if memory is correct.

  • Almonds (rarely).
  • Apples (daily).
  • Bacon.
  • Blackberries/strawberries/raspberries (frozen).
  • Beef (rarely, not by choice).
  • Butter (for cooking and popcorn).
  • Cheese.
  • Cheese doodles.
  • Chicken (breast meat, strips/roasted).
  • Eggs (2-3).
  • Flaxseed.
  • Ground turkey or beef.
  • Green beans.
  • Pears (daily).
  • Pineapple (frozen, rarely)
  • Potato chips.
  • Potato.
  • Popcorn (air popped).
  • Onions.
  • Quinoa.
  • Rice noodles.
  • Sea salt (helps adrenal fatigue).
  • Smarties (candy, rarely).
  • Walnuts (rare).
  • Wine.
  • Vodka (woo!).
Nothing unhealthy there, right? I mean, sometimes I throw in some other stuff, but, not to bad. If you remember the Egg McMuffin challenge, this might answers some questions on what I can handle.

My Edit

My fridge
First, there are certain things I cannot or should not consume because I have sensitivities to certain foods. A sensitivity means I will not die if I eat them, I will just want to die. An allergy would mean I would have to go to the hospital if I ate these things. Anyhow, the items I don't eat are:
  • Canola oil (I avoid fried food and most processed food).
  • Vinegar (no sushi or condiments).
  • Beans (you know, beans).

I did some research (I went to the Wiki) and chatted with some friends who have different diet types. Since I can't really demand a meal plan, I decided to divide this challenge into a couple weekly chunks. I think it's a good span of time that includes weekends and weekdays.

I also decided to add some flair to this diet challenge by including a range - here it is:
  • Vegan: No animal products or by-products allowed.
  • Locavore: Food only can come from the local area where you live.
  • Islamic: Diet derived from commandments found in the Qur'an, the Hadith and Sunnah.
Stay tuned for my report on this! I will be starting with the vegan diet today - report to follow in a week!

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
World Eats thumbnail from cominganarchy.com

1 comments:

Krystyn/KameKnits said...

Good luck! I couldn't do it. I love chicken too much

Post a Comment