Oct 24, 2014

Things I Eat: Salted Maple Popcorn

Yeah, yeah, I hear you:

  • But, Manda, don’t you miss good stuff? 
  • Like, what can you eat that’s good? 
  • Dairy free, egg free, wheat free – what’s next, taste free? Haha. 
  • I wish I had a food allergy so I could lose some weight. 
  • You’re so lucky – I look at food and gain weight.
  • Don’t you miss like real food?
  • Everything you eat is weird.

First, everything I eat is utterly fantastic. Second, let me help you all STFU with a tasty treat.

Background
I am often surprised how my adventurous, food-loving friends fail to use every resource in their fridge or at the grocery store.

Like maple syrup. The bottle with the sugar crystals holding the lid on? People think it's just for pancakes and when you want to be “modern” you put it in some cake frosting. Seriously – I put it in my coffee. It’s delicious. It's natural. It's the blood of trees.

Blood. Of. Trees.

I’m also surprised how many people buy microwave popcorn. First, it’s icky. Second, it makes your microwave icky. Thirdly, it’s expensive – like PopSecret Butter Popcorn is like $8.00 and you get like 4 cups of disgusting – and dairy and soy and. . .ick. In fact, it contains four “controversial” ingredients that somehow don’t exist in nature. WTF is that? Like someone is saying, “You know, I don’t think I am getting enough Propyl Gallate aka propyl 3,4,5-trihydroxybenzoat in my diet!”

If you didn't know anything about popcorn and someone shoved that in your face, you'd be all like. . .*yak*

My Presto PopLite Hot Air Popcorn Popper cost about $15 and with it I can make as much popcorn as I want which I buy in bulk at Whole Foods for a couple bucks - and it makes like a bazillion cups of popped popcorn that is a blank canvas for joy.

AKA: I can flavor it however I want.

Normally, I use a little coconut oil spray from Trader Joe's and salt but there is a whole salted-sweet trend going on and I am all for a little extra salt in my diet because my body expels it with gusto.

Prepare your favorite TV show, a bowl and your system for some salted-sweet junk food - Manda style!

What You Need


What You Do
Make the popcorn, if you haven’t. While it’s being made - in my 2.5 minutes - I make my topping!

Take 3 tablespoons butter – or two huge soup spoons full – and melt it in a pan with 1/3 cup maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Don’t let it burn or boil or anything, just melt it all together so it’s all happily swimming around. Takes about two seconds – or something. You can add a little salt to it, but, I prefer to salt once it’s all mixed together. Or, maybe I forgot to add it. You don’t know me.

Pour the mixture over your popcorn, tossing the popcorn around a lot so it gets all evenly coated. I poured a little in and threw the popcorn around and then poured over a little more and bossed everything around again. . .you get the idea.

As an added bonus, if you are a disaster like me, you will probably find popcorn around for days which are a nice unexpected floor snack.

Salt lightly and continue to toss around the popcorn. If you are like some stay-at-home-perfecto Mom with your tastefully decorated trend-home and matched kitchen utensils, you could lay the popcorn out flat for it to dry and salt it then while your little blessings practice Mandarin or whatever. You probably have a special bowl for popcorn, don't you?

Or you could do what I do and just toss it around and then eat it. I don't wait.

If you like some diverse popcorn flavor, only use the syrup on half of the popcorn so it gets all gooy and totally covered and then add that back in with the rest of the popcorn so you have a texture change when you eat it.

You could even add nuts or cocoa. I don't tell you how to live.

I made this at night, so, it's bad lighting. But, trust me, this is super awesome.


Look, the popcorn is crowned with the glory of the angels!


Enjoy STFU about my dietary restrictions!


0 comments:

Post a Comment