Apr 3, 2013

Training: Safety Tips

As training begins for my biking adventures, I like to make sure I am prepared for a couple of things:
  • The physical activity.
  • The mental activity.
  • Injury.

Out of all of these, I think injury is the one most people overlook. I'm not talking about fractures, sprains or bruses - I'm talking about getting hurt and being unable to communicate the necessary information to medical workers or good Samaritans. 

Help Others Help You
I have known people seriously and critically injured engaging in sports/training outside (and in the gym) who would have been in a lot better shape had they been carrying PROPER and USEFUL identification.

A driver’s license and insurance card is a useless document in a crisis. There isn't any life saving information on either card. Also, having a little scrap of paper in a wallet is a needle in a haystack as far as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is concerned.

EMTs are trained to look for usable medical and contact information on the wrist, ankle or around the neck in the event of a crisis.

Investing in a good sports ID tag should be a number one priority for events and training. A sports ID tag should have the following information:
  • Your name.
  • Year of birth (date, not so important).
  • City and state of residence (if you travel out of the country, add USA).
  • Two emergency numbers of people who actually are prepared to answer a call from an EMT/hospital and know they are your emergency contact.
  • Drug allergies or the message “No Known Drug Allergies (NKDA).”
  • Any medical conditions you have (Diabetes, Celiac, etc.)
  • Any medications you take (allergy medications, antidepressants, etc).
  • Special items – Do you wear contacts? Do you have missing or fake organs?
  • Blood type (this will first be verified, but, in a crisis, things can be prepared saving valuable time).

I suggest checking out vendors like RoadID.com and investing in an ID for yourself and/or those in your family.

(I suggest RoadID because they will donate part of your purchase to a charity of your choice and really help you determine what info to put on a tag – they also have a wide variety of styles and colors from bracelets to things you attach to your running shoes. However, there are other companies out there).

I always wear my tags. It makes me 200% cooler.

Some of my stuff
Other Thoughts
It's not a bad idea to get a little ID tag made up for yourself when you are traveling or for your children. 

If you travel and should ever be incapacitated, you can customize the information to be useful to those who would be trying to help you. 

If your children lost and too frightening to give useful information to those trying to help, this tag can be easily found and you can be contacted.

I also have been known to wear my tags when just walking around town or taking a ride in a car with someone. I don't like to carry a lot of things so my tags give me a nice piece of mind.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment