Apr 22, 2013

Entry about Boston

After the bombings at the Boston Marathon, I ended up taking pen to paper and wrote this note - it was written on Monday, April 15, 2013. It was half in response to the outpouring of comments about how horrible the world was, half in response to what I knew would be a witch-hunt and cries of ultimate justice.

I know my views are not common when it comes to these things, but, I think this is what I would want to communicate to anyone who sets out in such a way to cause harm and chaos.

I do gain some comfort from two quotes:
When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world. - Mr. Rogers
Also a less known and slightly corrupt proverb based on, what I believe, is a Chinese saying:
Without evil, good cannot triumph - without war there can be no peace.
What we value most in the world - love, peace, harmony - only exist because these are vulnerable and uncertain. However, so are the things we fear the most - hate, murder, chaos.

------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We don’t know each other; at least, I can only imagine we don’t know each other because I don’t live anywhere near Massachusetts.

I do know most people will fly to two extremes – one that announces the need for more love while announcing the need for your savage destruction. I do know other people will use this day as proof that they are justified in despising humanity.

Here is what I think – what I think you should know.

I know you wanted to do damage, to make an impact and you did. However, those who were killed, mangled and maimed, they will be remembered for every good deed they did. From the destruction left in the wake of the explosions, everyday, mild-mannered people became heroes, friends and supporters. Born on the ripples of tragedy, amazing things happened throughout the US.

I wish this outpouring of support and love that people are capable of had been apparent to you before things fractured and splintered in your own life and led you down a path that left you no other choice but to attack. I know I am guilty of pushing people aside or telling myself it is better to not be involved. It’s easier when things turn violent or vicious to claim it was evil-born or something out of my control and so far out of my reach. The truth is, there was probably one moment, one touch or one word that could have changed the course of events if someone had had the courage to reach out rather than walk away from you.

All life is worthwhile – and so is yours. But, you will never be known for any good you have done, you will only been classified by this deed. Your thoughts, your feelings, your message and your legacy will probably never be understood due to the chain of events that led you to the Boston Marathon. Just as those everyday people were turned into heroes in a single day due to your actions, you were turned into what we all fear – the absence of choice, the absence of love and the absence of reason.

At the end of this all - no one will really understand what you wanted to really communicate. It will be defined merely as "hate" rather than a true revolution of thought that could bring about change.

What is done is done. The manhunts, the accusations  the wishes of destruction on you are only the residual of what happened long before now. I hope, in some way, you can walk from your own darkness.

------------------------------------------------------

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.


0 comments:

Post a Comment