Apr 19, 2013

Journal Follow Up

Mission Level: Success

I wrote a post on me starting to journal - or learn how to journal - once I found this journal at Home Goods
Current state
for a really cheap price. You can read my first mention of it in my post called Journal. Odd, right? Anyhow, when I got it, I did print out a huge list of questions for me to use as a starting point for entries.

I have never had a journal before - I never spent time with something on hand and wrote stuff down. I did have some online diary type things and once when I was in middle school I got some type of rainbow-princess-secrets diary thing where I found I had nothing to write about. 

I did post on Facebook something about what I should use it for or write in it and someone said journaling is just like Facebook only private. 

Like Scrapbooking?
Project
I have scrapbooked before. I actually have two albums of stuff - 12x12 pages - to document all the stuff I have done. And by "have done" I mean like. . .nothing to amazing. Mostly, I tried to find pictures of stuff and then built a page around it. 

I did complete a huge scrapbook project when my one friend got married. It was half a recipe book and half a scrapbook. 

It was intense. 

How Did It Go?
Actually, once I got that first entry out of the way - one of the stock ones from all those questions I printed
Thick with thoughts
out - I found it went rather well.

I found that the size of the book made entries easy to jot down when I came up with things I wanted to record. While I hoped there is something worthwhile here and there, I really just turned it into a place I would write down my thoughts on whatever topic. I don't quite use Facebook the same way. I would like to think I am one of those people who know how to keep it lively and not offensive.

I don't really require a soapbox.

I used those post-notes, by the way, to tag areas of things I was keeping track of. Like funny things my hunk-of-a-manfriend says to me or all the things I lose or questions I hate to be asked. I often found myself writing out more than one entry a day. Then I would have a day I would write nothing. I think this is a good ebb and flow of the creative (or not so creative) process.

I just turned the whole book into whatever. I even tried doodling in it when I was on the phone or to better illustrate a point (like my love of Trader Joe's and colorful socks).

That's some good journaling
I did treat this as my book so I put in some advice for myself.

This includes emotional hurt
I put in pictures that people printed out for me that I didn't want to throw away but had no other need for.

The person who gave me this knew me well
Sometimes, I found myself jotting down things I tell myself more than once when I am dealing with people or a stuck zipper or something.


And, yes, I filled it with pages of writing. One thought per page (couple exceptions) and none which I want to take a picture of - but here is an example.


I should fill up this journal before too long. I think I will get another. I like the idea of a mini-scrapbook and play area. I have totally used it to write down things I needed to remember and then referenced later. I wonder if I will remember all this stuff a year from now? Who knows

You?
I would totally suggest you give this whole journal thing a try. I know it is not for everyone, but, even just as a place I can put in tickets, business cards or even write out what I really want to post on Facebook or when I have un-polished thoughts. . .it's a good thing. 

In fact, once I started it, I found my brain was getting more of a workout. That's always nice. 

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment