Apr 10, 2013

Design a Logo

I took on the name Honey Badger as my team. By team, mind you, I mean me. I don’t really have a group or club or team that I belong to. At work, we have a club but since it is through work, there is some resistance in my mind about the name and the team, in general. Biking is one of those things that is mine and I get very protective over it.

Anyhow, for the MS City to Shore right this year, I actually have two people coming with me – and maybe more. For this group, I wanted to come up with a logo that wasn't something I stole off the internet.

Back Up a Step
If you do not know why the honey badger is such a hit these days - or was a hit, depending on if you are "over" the joke or not - you can check out what started it all on YouTube in the video titled: The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall)

Needing a Logo
So much like with a team, having one uniting logo can really inspire team spirit and a “we are in this together” spirit. This can also give individuals in the team something to hold on to when things get rough in training or during an event. When you are part of a team, you are part of something bigger than yourself and that can be the push people need to fight through physical and mental obstacles. 

It also sends a message to those around you that you are part of something. Having rode my first century alone, I can tell you I feel really alone surrounded by all these people in their team specific colors and jerseys. Not enough that I felt bad about myself, it just seemed like they were all part of something really cool.

Making a Logo
Grrr
When coming up with a design, you have to think about what your team is and what it represents. We are team Honey Badgers and the obvious logo would be the actually honey badger. 

I have seen a lot of cool honey badger cartoons, drawings and logos and I know I cannot come up with something as awesome as all that. For one, I can’t draw. For twos, I don’t have access to amazing software to make something really awesome. 

If you remember, I use PowerPoint a lot – I had a post called Customized Desktop where I used it to achieve what I needed. I don’t have mad realistic design skills, only conceptual ones. 

But, back to the Honey Badgers.

Rather than try to find someone to draw for me – and ultimately probably not achieve the look I want – I boiled down the elements of what I liked about what I did see. I liked the crest idea – the medieval or ivy league look. I think the juxtaposition of something so noble looking and the grit of the honey badger is pretty cool. 

When You Can’t Draw
Right. I can’t. However, I can find some free items online and fake it. I found myself a shield outline, added the bars to create four sections. Why four? Four places I can represent stuff about the team. 

Again, I can’t draw and I don’t want to steal someone else’s work. I also want to be unique. Good thing there are a lot of free, no copyright stuff out there - at least, as far as I know using my due diligence and ClipArt.

Here is what I wanted in my crest:
  • Honey badger.
  • Winning.
  • Dominance.
  • Something hardcore.
  • Something with some white space, too.
This is what I ended up with – and I couldn't be prouder.

Go Honey Badgers!

Feedback
Getting responses and edits from other people is always good. Especially when they love it. 

Yes!


Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Honey badger from badassoftheweek.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment