Apr 24, 2013

Sports Weekend: 5Ks and Bike Rides

My lover and I had quite an exciting and super athletic weekend. We are highly tuned, super buff and healthy type people, you know. Ripped, shredded and. . lean, mean fighting machines!
Me: Why didn't you tell me I had a cheese doodle crumbs all over me?
Him: I am just so use to seeing them on you.
Gone shortly after
But, seriously, we had a pretty busy weekend.

It all needed to start with some spaghetti with meat sauce. You need to make sure you get some good carbs, meat, veggies and all that good stuff into you the night before a big event. At least, I assume. I don’t know much about runners, but, bikers eat a lot. 

Food is fuel!


Go to a 5K
I hit a goal, this weekend - I went to a 5K. I didn’t run. I don’t actually run. I’m much more likely to stab you in the face with my stiletto heel than run from you. Unless you have doodles, then I think we would work whatever it was out.

My superhero-esque boyfriend ran in his first 5k of the season for the Clean Air Council. Who doesn't like clean air?

This was my first 5k that I have ever been too. It was cold. The whole weekend was cold. I was cold. Here are a couple things I learned (keep in mind, I only can compare and contrast running events to what I do know about – which is biking events)
  • It’s cold.
    The finish line goes both ways
  • There was no coffee – in fact, there was little to no food.
  • It only takes a maximum of 30 minutes.
  • People stop right after the finish line and do not fear someone running into them.
  • Runners make really funny faces.
  • Runners will stand at the finish line and look for other people who have not crossed the line without fear of being run over.
  • Some runners puke.

Do I have any wish to run a 5K? No.

Girls with Gears
I gotz my number
Sunday, it was my turn to rock the house! I went to the Girls With Gears even hosted by CAROL For Heart. This is a group that educates women (and men) on women's heart health. Who doesn't like a health heart? Anyhow, me and some co-workers signed up for this delightful ride about the countries of Pennsylvania.

I ended up mildly coasting around the fridge tundra-roads of Pennsylvania re-evaluating my life decisions. Totally was ready to give up at mile 2, I think. The whole tour started on an incline and the incline turned into a hill, an incline and another hill. It's times like these, I totally want to give up.

I'm graceful
Actually, the first 5 miles of every ride I want to give up. I then spend a good 2-3 miles coming up with every reason I should stop, how I am going to make up the ride later and how I hurt and need a rest. By then, I normally am feeling pretty good and after 7-8 miles, I figure I might as well do 10 miles - and so on.

It was cold. It was a cold weekend. I did not dress warmly enough but I did wear just about everything I had. I figured I would start moving and warm up. I think my toes are still cold.

I did a nice 25 miles. By nice I mean – there were two harsh hills at the start. I figured if the whole course was like that, I would die. Luckily, it turned out to be some nice rolling hills after the initial heart attack. My super-hero boyfriend snapped this awesome shot of me about 2 miles from the finish line-area-place while yelling, "I have coffee and cheese doodles for you." That's love right there.

Heading to the finish. . .area
I felt a lot better about my conditioning though I have a long ride to go if I am going to be riding 270 miles in an event in September followed by a century 10 days later.

Stuff
Do you know you get stuff when you do events? I got a sweet water bottle (I only use them at home to prevent me from spilling water everywhere) a coaster, a magnet, a red-flashy light in the shape of a heart and a bunch of pamphlets.

One was for zip-lining.

Final Thoughts
My thoughts are never final!

I am not sure if I am going to be able to do everything on my list. I would have a metric century in a couple weeks (that's 62 miles) and I am not 100% confident it is a great idea. I will see how the coming weeks are.

I posted my wish-list on a post titled, My Year In Biking - but here is my master list!

Girls with Gears
Date: 4/21/2013
Route: 25 miles

Quad County Metric Ride 
Date: 5/11/2013
Route: 62 42 miles

Nockamixon Lake Century 
Date: 8/24/2013
Route: 100 miles

Tour DaVita
Date: 9/14/2013-9/18/2013
Route: 270 miles

MS City to Shore
Date: 9/28/2013
Route: 100 miles

Covered Bridges Ride
Date: 10/20/2013
Route: 33 miles

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment