Oct 30, 2015

Things I Eat: Bitters

I am sooo bitter!

Kidding.

Not really.

My latest discovery in the world of beverages is bitters. What are bitters, Wikipedia?
A bitters is traditionally an alcoholic preparation flavored with botanical matter such that the end result is characterized by a bitter, sour, or bittersweet flavor. Numerous longstanding brands of bitters were originally developed as patent medicines, but are now sold as digestifs and cocktail flavorings.
Right. Well, they are good in cocktails like my all-time-current favorite Old Fashion which is made with Angostura bitters but with which I replaced with Black Walnut Bitters after going to a local bar and drinking something called a ‘81 Amaro (wild turkey 81 proof, amaro averna, orange peel syrup, black walnut bitters).

So I got myself some Fee Brother's bitters - the black walnut because I love walnut and black walnut. It's a Hungarian thing.

Bitters are commonly used for cockatils but nothing prevents me from bring it to work to spice up my coffee. I strongly recommend you give it a try. Just be careful - a lot of bitters contain alcohol and you don't want to be caught drunk at work.


At least this just looks like I'm adding Winchester Sauce to my coffee. . .

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment