Sep 11, 2015

Things I Eat: Old Fashion

If you know me - you might know I love bourbon. My favorite is Bulleit which. . .well, I'm pretty sure it is no top-shelf but I found I like it the best of the bourbons I drink.

For the summer, I have been drinking bourbon and lemonade - which is a delightful combo. I got into bourbon a while ago when I tried Thug Kitchen's Blackberry Bourbon Fizz.


It's no secret I love blackberries - so this was something I wanted to try. What I found out was I did like it a lot, but I also liked it with lemonade. From then on. Well, I'm matured into Old Fashions.

Bourbon
What is bourbon? Well bourbon whiskey is the American whiskey. It is distilled from corn. I'm sure you can talk a lot more about whiskey and bourbon. I can tell you this: all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon. Bourbon is specific - it need to be produced in America and made from 51% corn.

Who Cares?
I guess a good amount of people do. I mean, I like Bulleit. Sort of the end of the story there. I have tried other whiskeys - still like Bulleit.

What's an Old Fashion
Apparently, there is a TV show that you popular people watch called Mad Men which everyone drinks Old Fashions and that has made it popular. I don't know anything about this. I have seen drink menus that say "Mad Men Old Fashion" or something like "Manhattan Old Fashion" or something like that. I like the simple one.

What You Need
1 1/2oz bourbon
2 dashes Angostura bitters (bitters are alleged to have restorative properties)
1 sugar cube
Few dashes plain water

Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.



(I like the cherry a little crushed up in it - won't lie)

So, you are not going to want to pound these. Trust me.





0 comments:

Post a Comment