Sep 25, 2015

Things I Eat: Roast Whole Chicken

'Tis the reason for roasting, coasting and toasting! I mean, it was 60 degress or something for Sunday dinner. Thought I would take a crack at making a whole roast chicken.

I have never done this before and I was actually inspired by my friend's blog back in 2011 - she is the proud yet absent (ahem) author of I Didn't Get Fat Accidentally and she took on a whole roast chicken in her Bird is the Word post.

After thinking about it for a good four years, why not take a crack at it?

What You Need

  • A whole chicken - I got my unbrinded (that means it wasn't soaked in salt water) and all free range (which is a lie) and organic and antibiotic free. I was worried about the "innerds" but they were nicely wrapped up.
  • Olive oil: I used Bella Olive Lemon infused olive oil.
  • Seasonings: Salt and pepper (I don't do pepper) and anything you like. I used garlic, basil and rosemary.


Optional:

  • Stuffing: I did not stuff my bird. I mean, I threw some onion in there, but, I didn't make any stuffing or anything. You're on your own for that.
  • Root Veggies: I got red bliss potatoes and a pre-packed mix of turnips, carrots, celery, parsnips and onion. I roasted these desperately.




What You Do
First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Then remove the innards. Nice. Good job.

I made a slit in the skin and pulled the skin from the meat so it made a sort of pocket. Then I poured in the olive oil and LIBERALLY seasoned with minced garlic, rosemary, basil and salt. This is a trick I learned when I just roast chicken breasts. It's fantastic.

You do the same for the cavity. I also jammed in some onion. Because. . .what doesn't need onion? I also put onions in the pan with the chicken.

Then I put the bird in my dutch oven. Sure, you are suppose to cover it. . maybe. But, I didn't. I cut up my root veggies and seasoned them the same - rosemary, basil, garlic and salt but I used reguarly olive oil. I threw this in the same oven as the bird.

After about 15 minutes, I reduced the temperature 375. This helps keep everything juicy yet the outside crunchy. Actually, I was just doing what I was told. I was also told to tie the drumsticks together - so, there's a 50/50 for you.

You want to roast the bird for about 20 minutes per pound. My bird was a little over 4lbs so I made my husband do the math and 80 minutes (or 1 hour and 30 minutes) we had a chicken! It smelled so good. SOO DAMN GOOD.

I don't know how to use a meat thermometer so I just cut into it and it wasn't pink. You can let this guy set for about 20-30 minutes for max chicken roasting traditionalest stuff.


I cut it up to serve - my Dad is amazing at cutting up birds. I am not that great but I haven't done it a lot.


And what about those veggies? I did occasionally stir them and they were also delicious.


Special moment - the innerds. I ended up sauteing them up in some chicken fat for Lucky the Cat. He did NOT like them. He wanted normal chicken - and got it.


Enjoy!

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment