Sep 7, 2015

I Am The Foster: Let Them Go

One of the first questions I am asked when someone adopts an animal I have fostered, or learns I foster, is "How do you let them go? I could never let them go!"

I never thought my role as letting anything go because I don't feel I have any ownership over these cats and kittens. I only own my own love and I don't give that up. I just work with these scared little critters until you come along to take them home.


I am the foster.

I love them first, all of them.

I ran to the pet store right before it opened and right before it closed for extra litter and food.

I washed the dirt from their fur.

I was there when they had to be euthanized.


I medicated them while enduing wild protests, bites and scratches.

I came home to rooms stinking of stress induced diarrhea and sickness induced vomit.

I taught them they always have a safe place to go – and this place is safe.

I might never have learned their stories, but I could see the result in all our interactions.

I talked about you and the home you would provide.

I taught them how to cuddle.


I thought them about the best toys to play with.

I love them first so you could love them last.

So, that’s how I let them go. Because I saw them at their worst – lonely, afraid, starving, dirty and injured – and I taught them about you. So when you came to take them home, my job was over.

I'm the foster - I let them go.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully said, Amanda! What you do is amazing. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Beautifully said, Amanda! What you do is amazing. Thank you!

Post a Comment