Sep 21, 2015

Maddy Reacts to The View/Miss Colorado

After watching the Miss (they still can't be married right?) Colorado monologue to see what all the fuss is about. I’m very conscience that tiny slip-ups and unfortunate turns of phrases and different opinions often snowball on social media and can destroy people while exulting the average.

So, I watched it. Woot.

Expectation
Monologues are hard. I studied theater. I suck at it. But, it is more than, “here’s my experience” it’s really a skill to perform. When I first saw her walking out, I actually did not know if she was really a nurse or just acting as one to highlight the importance of the job. I don’t watch the pageant, so, not sure if that was known.

I also was excited because of the new women’s lib thing happening where women don’t have to be judged by their dress and sexiness and ability to entertain.

Of course, it is the Miss. American Pageant. It’s assumed you will wear a lot of makeup, bling and preform something in the theatrical field like dance, singing. .and. . .IDK, wear a bikini.

Let's watch!



My Thoughts On It
I thought she did something different – has something like that been done before? Again, I don’t know.

I just don’t think it was a very good performance. I didn't think she connected – at least on my YouTube box. I wish she had drilled down on the impact of Alzheimer's or the amount of things she does as a nurse. I really cringed a little when she “realized” she’s not “just a nurse.” I wanted to go on that journey with her and feel what that was like – and I just didn't. I felt toward the end it was more her talking about how great she was and I wanted it to be more than that.

I don’t think this cheapens the profession of nursing. I think nurses are great. Ok, not all nurses. I had some pretty awful nurses in my life. Like. Bad. And I had some who were amazing. Same goes for doctors and teachers and. . . .all that.

I don’t think saying that her performance wasn't that great cheapens the nursing profession or her skills or her impact.

Social Reaction
What seems to have happened is that someone was watching The View expecting – what? It’s The View. To me it’s tabloid entertainment – morning television. They say some air-headed things - sometimes meant to be funny, sometimes the produce of misinformation or passion. Of course they are going to have some snide comment when a woman doesn't obtain or conform to their standard of beauty or behavior – and Miss. Colorado did that.

Let's watch!



Should we get the touches and pitchforks to combat it with the same wild abandon? I don’t know. I feel the reaction is a level 10 and the offence was a bratty level 5.

It’s like Fashion Police where they pick and pull and say horrible bully things from the plush safety of their studio. Eh. What do you expect?

Watching The View reaction, no one insulted nurses. In fact, Michelle Collins said basically what I wrote here. I didn't think the performance was that good. However, she was a little more aggressive about it.

Joy Behar has come under fire for saying “Doctor’s stethoscope” – to destroy someone over those two words. I don’t know. I feel as if it was as if she was thinking on the fly. If she said “hospital stethoscope” or “silver stethoscope” it would have been fine. I know a little of Joy Behar, I am unsure if she said it meaning it to be condescending or it was just a descriptive word.

But, in social media world – life is a little more harsh.

Conclusions
First, yes, The View was a little bitchy and that should be noted.

Dear View – You came across as being very closed-minded and bitchy rather than in respectful disagreement with a performance. Please keep in mind, you have a very large and reactive fan base. Plan and think accordingly - maybe to make the world a better place when possible.

Of course, this behavior is how they get advertising dollars and keep their names fresh. They will have a whole list of statements and tearfully talk about how much they love nurses and maybe even have Miss. Colorado on or some other nurses. And they will donate to some fund. It will all be forgotten.

But, the truth is. Actually. Ehhhh. . .they didn’t really say to much that seems to warrant this reaction.

I understand The View’s position – and I agree with the points:

  1. The performance wasn't that great. 
  2. Nursing really important to the medical industry and people in care.


However, I don’t agree with how it was communicated.

I wanted them to give an opinion and maybe then say: This was different and it’s nice to see someone showing women in different professions than musical or dance. Maybe it will inspire other girls and women and show that “beauty queens” are more than pretty clothes and makeup.

Let’s take a moment and instead of respond with our gut – look at the situation, think it through and then make a decision based on understanding and compassion rather than some meme or posts.

The View probably owes an apology. Probably could have been a little more aware and less cocky when judging someone. Then again – it’s The View.

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment