Feb 20, 2015

Things I Eat: Maddy's Porridge

I am NOT in the breakfast camp. I grew up shoving in prepackages cereals and being warned that breakfast is the most uber thing you can do for yourself.

A long time ago, undecided this was a huge crock. I eat when I am hungry and eating when I am not hungry because a cartoon breakfast critter tells me - or people - is silly.

However, I do eat breakfast items. Not the over-processed fast food types - before I had to stop eating eggs, I loved me an omelet!

I mean, seriously, have you ever just thought about cereal and milk? I mean, WTF is in cereal?

These days, if I am hankering for some breakfast, I make myself a porridge of buckwheat and oatmeal.

What You Need
  • Oatmeal and buckwheat: Let's say half a cup of each for a single serving. I know quick oats are grains that have been processed, but, it's cool, man.
  • Maple Syrup: Gotta have some sweet!
  • Nutmeg: Not just for the holidays! Nutmeg is a warm flavor, like a spice hug. Use it!
  • Pumpkin pie spice: Why not?
You can doctor this up with anything from garlic (savory) to cardamon and cinnamon (sweet). Buckwheat groats will take on anything and the oatmeal just serves as a binder.

What You Do
Put everything in a bowl. Add water to just cover the mixture and nuke for about 1 minute in the microwave.

The more liquid you add, the more watery it will be. I like a thick mixture.

Add any nuts or fruit and enjoy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment