Feb 11, 2015

Don’t WebMD That

So, Saturday about a week ago, I was hanging out on my couch – as is how I like to partay – and I felt very sick and suddenly I had pain in my stomach. It was really bad acid or something. Urg. I wanted to puke because I felt sick. I didn’t.

Points!

I figured I had the stomach flu. Or reflux. Or Ebola. The weekend was brutal, even with acid reducers and stuff. The man-husband was worried.

Sick Day
I took Monday off because I wanted to die. Nothing worked – eating, not eating. Resting, not resting. I have been under some stress, it's been a tough couple weeks - er. . maybe over a month for me. Having a day to rest and deal with this stomach thing was just as well.

Ok, I did eat a steak at my parents and went down excellent and I felt better. Rice, summer rolls – urg!

I did spend FAR TOO MUCH time on ModCloth.

Shoot.

Now I have the app. This is not good, fellow people. This is not good. I mean, I did need to get a 1920-1930 style dress, but, it’s hard to find historically accurate flapper type dresses because the hems were tea-length and all the dresses are suddenly min-skirts. Not cool, people. Not cool.

That was Monday.

The Clinic
On Tuesday, after work, I pull into my local pop-up clinic. I call them urgent care centers. I think “Urgent Care” is a thing. So is “Minute Clinic.” Whatever, my friend mentioned he went there and thought it was decent. I probably just had random bad reflux so I popped in.

They took my insurance pretty quick. And my pants.



After a couple hours – they decided to draw blood and order an ultrasound. I am pretty sure I have an ulcer. The doctor calls it Peptic Ulcer Disease to sound cool, but, a good ol’ fashion ulcer would be a better description.

I debated NOT getting the ultrasound, but, how often do you get a script for testing these days? Not too often. Doctor’s offices are based on headcount, not screening. So, I went for it.

The Test
I got a call around 8am the next day with a testing time at some place at 9:45am. Because I guess sometimes I look like I don’t have a job. . .?


I did get the wrong address. I verified my note on my desk and saw that was one address, I typed in the wrong one into my calendar for my GPS and the actual address was totally different. I was about 10 minutes late – and where did I get to park? On the ice puddle.

Ice. Puddle.

Good thing they weren't busy and they took me right away. Ultrasounds are painful, man. For me. PAINFUL. She did a good job, I think she took over 100 pictures of my inners from the part at the base of my sternum to my liver, pancreas, kidneys – the whole torso.

And, can I add, the last time I had a ultrasound of my heart, I did not have one simple luxiory – warmed gel. The gel was pre-warmed. What a glorious day! They also pumped up the heat so my exposed belly parts did not get cold. Nice.

Later
Sitting at my desk, I get a call about my results.


  • Blood test: Normal.
  • Urine: Normal.
  • Ultrasound: . . . .


Dot-dot-dot?


Dude, I currently have a tampon all up in there. I'm not pregnant.

The guy on the phone tells me my liver is enlarged. I should probably contact my primary care physician to get that looked at. But, it has nothing to do with my stomach issues. I mention I’m doing better. I get waves here and there now, but, I sleep pretty good. Probably just need to take another pill and not just one in the evening.

Whatever. Awesome.

Then I took to the Internetz, my favorite place, to check out what’s up with an enlarged liver. What causes an enlarged liver:

  • Cirrhosis.
  • Hepatitis.
  • Cysts.
  • Cancer.
  • Heart failure.
  • Obesity. 


Well. This is a pretty awesome list. There is nothing “normal” that seems to cause it. It just gets worse. Where’s the “sometimes it just happens” part.



Cheese-n-crackers!

So, I made an appointment on Monday to check in with my new primary care physician to hopefully get an MRI of the liver. I, conveniently, have Friday off so I will collect what medical records I might need for this – like the ultrasound stuff.

Maybe it will all be gone away, who knows? Does that happen? I hope so. This is far too much excitement for me.



Photo Credits:
Ultrasound pulled from kf.rainydaycommunications.net

0 comments:

Post a Comment