Feb 13, 2015

Thing I Eat: Blackberry Balls

Balls, balls, balls, balls – BALLLS!

Love ‘em.

My lover likes to buy me blackberries – and I do love blackberries. They are expensive though and I have been having a little more trouble eating. . .like. . .for the past few months. . .so I have not been eating them. I had two packs in the fridge.

I also sort of had a craving for some type of sweet berry cereal. I have not eaten cereal since like 2008 and I think only my Grandmother only got us Trix a couple times when I was a kid, so, I don’t know where this desire came from.

God?

To the blender! After all, I have the secret combo for anything delicious – dates and nuts. Remember the truffles that sort of tasted like Almond Joys - check out my Almond Coconut Truffles post.


What You Need

  • Almonds: Mine are lightly salted. Cuts down on me needing to add salt to bring out the sweetness. Lazyness WIN. I used a little shy of a half of a cup.
  • Dates: I actually used exactly 11. I got the ones that were already pitted. 
  • Unsweetned coconut flakes: I have a bag of these laying around. Don’t hurt to add. Is this optional? Sure.
  • Blackberries: You know, the point of this thing. I used 6-7 blackberries. You can add more or less depending on your blackberries. They will add moisture and that will mess with the consistency. Just add more nuts if it becomes to watery. 
  • Coconut oil: When chilled, coconut oil hardens and keeps everything together. It’s also fantastic. 
  • Buckwheat Groats: My life gets about 10x better with the addition of buckwheat groats. 


What You Do
Put everything in a blender. . . I used my brand-new giant blender. I think it’s the Cuisinart Elite Collection™ 12-Cup Food Processor but I got it for Christmas so, who knows.


I did actually struggle to get it to turn on for like 5 minutes because. . .that’s how I roll. Then I hit the. . mm. . .button.

Look at this glorious mess! You don’t want to OVER blend, you want some chunks of almonds and buckwheat in there. If you wanted to add a little sweetener, you could. Blackberries are not always super sweet – it would help to know this before you blend them up. Make a note of that.


Roll ‘em up into balls. Why balls? I don’t know. Balls are totally in right now. You could also roll them into balls and then use a glass bottom or something flat to make them into cookies. Or roll ‘em out and make bars. This all seems kind of labor intensive. I made balls.

See that purple color – not artificial! That’s the blackberries.


Wait – let me take the plate to the natural light of my living room! Can you tell I made two batches? I bet you can.


Pop ‘em in the fridge so that the coconut oil can do its thing! You don’t have to keep them in there too long. Coconut oil is really sensitive to temperature – it will harden up in about 2 minute. Make yourself some coffee or. . .

Decide to make a frosting and then sprinkle some orange peel spice over the top to make it all nice looking and taste.

Yes, this is how my brain works.


So, I got out:

  • Maple syrup.
  • Coconut oil.
  • Valencia orange peel spice.

Yeah, totally going to rock this, I told myself. 

I did not. 

Either way, the stuff was absorbed into the balls rather than making much of a glaze. I did roll two of the balls in the mixture and then added a dash of the orange peel spice – which is fantastic. 

So, the flavors were all there, but, not really any sort of white lines of frosting over the balls. Either way, delicious! I think I will just add the maple syrup and orange peel spice when I blend everything together.

Anyhow, I took this plate of joy and sat down for a Sims4 session with my Best Friend mug full of coffee. A good time was had by all.

'Cept the Danjer family - their kid, Dalton, he set fire to his chemistry set and the house caught on fire and at that moment his Mom want into labor. Phew! Have another ball!



0 comments:

Post a Comment