Feb 16, 2015

Puzzles, Art and Cray-Cray

I was helping my husband put together a 1000 piece puzzle for his niece. She got the puzzle as a Christmas gift with the extra note that he would put it together for her and then it would be framed and put in in room.

Background
I haven't worked on a puzzle since I was sick. My Mom and I use to work on puzzles - not at the same time. I would have my walkman in the basement and go down and work on it while listening to music. Then when I was done, she would go down and work on it.

The one was "Ice Cream and Hopscotch" by Charles Wysock, a 1000 piece puzzle. If you ever want to get to know art - do a puzzle! Wysock is known for yesteryear type prints - for me, a refined American folk art style. This puzzle was a lot of fun - it has a lot of areas to really work on. I think we put this together and broke it up a bunch of times.


The other was the Springbok E.E. Throcknottom Memorial Gumball Machine Jigsaw Puzzle. That one was tricky. The Internet tells me it had 500 pieces, but, I have a feeling it was far more. However, since I could only find it on Ebay, who knows.


This one was HARD. Most of the puzzle was black followed by all those gumballs. The classic trick of sorting pieces and then building off know landmarks in the puzzle didn't help too much. All the colors and shapes are the same. We did this one maybe once or twice.

The Now
Of course it's a Thomas Kinkade print of a Cinderella castle - it's called A New Day at the Cinderella Castle.

Kinkade was an American painter of popular realistic, bucolic, and idyllic subjects. While I can't deny his unoffensive brand of painting goes well everywhere, I actually do not own anything by Kinkade. His stuff reminds me of hospitals. Due to the success of his marketing (via The Thomas Kinkade Company), it has been estimated that 1 in every 20 American homes owns a copy of one of his paintings.

He characterized himself as "Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light," a phrase he protected through trademark but one originally attributed to the English master Joseph Mallord William Turner - who was a Romanticist landscape painter, water-colorist, and print-maker. He as considered a controversial figure in his day, but is now regarded as the artist who elevated landscape painting to an eminence rivaling history painting.

Anyhow, it's 1000 pieces and actually sort of hard.


I got most of the castle done - then I noticed this on the box.


Seriously? "My prayer is that A New Day at the Cinderella Castle will make dreams come true for all who see this enchanted painting" - Thomas Kinkade.

Little high-and-mighty, aren't you Kinkade? Your prayer to God is for everyone to have their dreams magically come true after viewing your artwork that you then smashed into 1000 pieces and make us mere mortals put together?

Artists are crazy, man. Cray-cray in the bray-bray.

Image Credit
Ice Cream and Hopscotch from PuzzleWarehouse.com
Gumball picture from EBay
Kincade from ArtoftheSouth.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment