Apr 6, 2015

Buying Dresses (or clothes) Online

I recently wore this sweater dress from Nine West on Pantsless Wednesday and somehow got drawn into a conversation about purchasing dresses online.


I get about 95% of my dresses through Amazon.com. I love Amazon. I like saving stuff to a wish list and I like buying things from my wish list. And I like making holidays easier by putting things on my wish list for people to get if they want to buy me a Christmas or birthday present.

Most people I tell this too – well, that I bought my dress from Amazon – claim they “could never do it” because “it would never fit.”

What?

Let's review how I go about buying stuff online and all that - maybe it will open doors for you. Maybe it won't. Maybe you got some time to kill and you like to read. I don't know you, I'm not going to tell you how to live.

Know Your Body and Needs
With all the rhetoric about body types and body self-image - yeah, we need to all calm down and just take note of how our bodies are. Big, small, thin, fat, curvy - big boobs, small butt, wide hips - whatever. We all have a body, might as well be honest about it and seek out clothes that make you feel good and look good.

I happen to be a big fan of the fit-and-flare style.

I also work in an office. I don't go out much. I mostly buy dresses for work that I could wear out on the off-chance I have somewhere to go. I like looking nice. I like dresses - which I didn't always like.

I have mastered making dresses acceptable in the winter and in the office with purchasing of a black blazer, a black shrug sweater and some black tights. And some tall boots. Nothing like that black blazer to keep me looking professional with any pattern shirt or dress and nothing like that tights to keep my legs covered and warm in the ice box of frozen dreams in corporate America.

Go to the Right Place
Let’s assume you are not read to use Amazon a warehousing type place where a lot of stuff is together. Maybe Overstocked would be another good example. I never ordered from there.

Anyhow, you could start by ordering off a company’s site that you know – like Mod Cloth, JC Penny or whatever. Mod Cloth isn't a good example because it's actually a stopping point of many designers, but, I have this awesome picture. .

I got this dress (called I Bid You I Do) from Mod Cloth without a hint of trouble. It’s the only thing I ever bought off Mod Cloth, but, I was very happy with it. I mean, I am not crazy about the satin under the. . mm. . .toile in pictures But - it is a nice dress.



Otherwise, I get things from Amazon because I like the variety. I’m pretty lazy, so, having 100 of stores to choose from is nice.

Know Who You Are Buying From
Do NOT buy things from China. This is just my personal opinion. I did buy my wedding shoes from China – they took about 2 months to deliver but I was happy with them. This store is called Honeystore and I knew it was a little shady because I couldn't find anything about the company ANYWHERE.

I took my time with checking out the reviews, though. 10 reviews - while I didn't take a picture - all seemed like people who know English. Don't fall for 10 5-star reviews and they all say something like, "shoe sexy and good!" or "sexy chic shoe for good time." That's the company paying to have someone write in bad English to make it appeal to the English speaking countries.



I also brought a dress from China once – it was not the right color (they said it was black, it was navy) and it was not the “right” size. It was far, far too small. To return it, I would have to pay an additional $260 dollars on a $200 dress. It’s not worth it.

I should have known not to buy it - as you can see, a lot of the descriptions are clothing "buzz words" and probably not a good indication. There were no reviews, either.


A lot of times, if a price seems too good to be true, you should avoid it. If you don’t know where the item is shipping from, there are no reviews and the price is really cheap – perfect storm. Don’t do it.

Which brings me to –

You Will Be Returning Items
Why does “returning” mean “failure?” I guess some people are consumed with body image and think by returning, s/he is the failure. Really, you’re rejecting the product for not suiting YOU. It’s the product’s fault. Return that snazz!

Most of these online stores (not China) have a great return policy. You can easily print out return labels for free. Even better if you are exchanging - things normally move pretty fast

I think when I started buying things online I did return a couple things. Like. A lot.

Understanding  Photos
You are going to have to learn a little about postings.

It's helpful to first check out the model - see how it fits in the picture. Sure, you might not be the model's size but we are all human and sort of proportional. Once you see how you relate to a standard model - stuff gets better. For example - and you will see it always circled - I check out where the dress hits. If it creeps up too far (or the model is standing to the side in a "sexy pose") I can assume it's too short for me.

In this case, this dress is a little high but ended up being just right when I got it. I also noted it's not really fit-n-flare which works best on my body. The pleats sort of give that idea, but, this dress is going to be a little more boxy than hourglass. I took a chance and I actually do love this dress - I wear it with a black blazer.

I didn't get this exact dress, but, I got one from the same company - it had lace around the waist which I was really digging. It got ok reviews, but it was pretty cheap and I could always wear jeans under it, right? As you can see, maybe, it was really too short. I mean, how far up do you think that model's legs go? Not much more. . .


Understanding Specs
Check out the specs. Dry clean only? Cotton? 100% polyester? Is there anything about the fit? I mean, I sort of pointed this out with that dress I got from China - it said a lot of "sexy" and "charming" which are not specs.

One of my favorite dresses is this Eliza J Women's Sleeveless Fit And Flare Printed Dress - I wore it to a wedding once. And to my rehearsal dinner. And whenever I need some brightness.

You can see it explains the waist - I care about this because I want dress to accent my waist, where I am thinnest and I want it to flare out because I have larger hips. Oh, and no boobs. Gives me an hourglass shape - it's also one of the most flattering looks for almost any body type.


I got this dress - it was a little different for me. Anyhow, you can see it's got some decent reviews, pretty much fits as expected and it's a pull-over. I don't know what "missy fit" is, but, it's a nice dress. It hit on the leg about where I wanted. I still wear it with tights to work.



Sizes
Sizes, remember, are not standard. A lot of places offer charts with measurements and then you sort of guestimate what you should order.

It’s helpful to read the reviews with a grain of salt – but only if someone puts in their size. Someone writing an item “didn't fit and it was too tight” doesn't much help. Writing, “I am 5’3, 140lbs and I got a M, but returned it for a L which fit better” is much more helpful.

I am normally a dress size 8 and I ordered this dress in a size 8.

Well, Jones New York engages in “vanity sizing.” I ended up returning it for a size 4. I’m in no way an American size 4 in this Jacquard Tea Party Dress.


There was no way I could really know this - but I did check the reviews and opted for a size 8. No biggy - I returned and left my feedback.



Non-Committal Brand Loyalty
Some stores are only online, some are not. If you like a brand, remember it, remember you size and order online. Have the item ship to your door for a second Christmas! If you order from an online store, remember your size and the quality and re-buy from there when you need stuff.

I found Patty Boutique on Amazon (they have their own site PattyBoutique.com, too) – which I had never heard of and I don’ t know if they have a physical store or now – and I love them! I know I am a medium or large in most items and if the reviews say something is a little “clingy” I got for a large. I love the quality and selection – the pieces are pretty unique, too.

I try to keep note of other dress brands I like – or check out those brands if I am in a brick-and-mortar store. One of my all-time favs and go-to dress is this one by Jessica Howard.

It hits right where it has to, it's pretty snazzy! The only thing I missed (but not a big deal) is the sewing details that run horizontally around the dress to give it the flare. It's in the picture, but, hard to see. It's more noticeable in real life. But, not enough for me to change my mind.

I got this for about $50 and it was about $175 when I did find it in a store. SCORE.


Conclusion
I say to start ordering online. It's not a bad thing to do - give it a shot.


0 comments:

Post a Comment