Apr 10, 2015

Things I Eat: Random Berry Dessert

I don’t think I’m that complicated. Nor is my food. And my photography skills surely suck.

I did make a rather delightful dessert, however. All vegan. Raw. You know. Good.

You can find recipes like this if you look up vegan desserts – the crust is always made of nuts and honey and the insides soaked cashews and fruit. But, you can sort of do whatever within those bounds. So I did!

What You Need

  • Frozen Fruit: I used about a cup of frozen fruit blend I use in my smoothies. You could use fresh stuff. I just thawed mine by throwing it into the soaking cashew bowl. 
  • Cashews: I used about a cup, again. These are the most common to use and maybe the most forgiving for insides of a cake. You are going to want to soak them so they get nice and soft. Soak and drain, I might add. 
  • Walnuts: About a cup! Any nut blend you want really works. I used walnuts because I had walnuts. 
  • Maple syrup: Not just for pancakes! A nice sweetener for all types of things. Just use however much you want - it's all about taste.
  • Dates: Also a nice sweetener. I have pre-chopped dates. I soaked them with the cashews and fruit. I’m lazy. I think I used a total of a 1/2 a cup between the filling and crust.
  • Coconut oil: ‘cause it was calling to me.And is delicious.


What You Do
Soak the cashews and dates. Optional, thaw your fruit.

Take you walnuts – about a cup – maple syrup and some dates and pulse it in your food processor until it makes a type of dough. Taste it. Add whatever you want to the crush. Ground flax seed, vanilla extract – whatever. Bacon. This is your crust, it should press easily into whatever vessel will house your berry cake. You can see what mine looked like.


Pretty people have spring-loaded pans (is that a real thing?) I have these ramekins (is that what they are
called?) I bought years ago and never used because it was the person I wanted to be, not who I am. I put them on a baking sheet so I could transport then easily into my fridge - which is coming up later. I opted for just having the bottoms with the nut crust. Because. .that's how much nut crust I had.


Rinse out your processor. Or not. Maybe just scrape out everything.

Put in the drained cashews and fruit of your choice and blend like the wind! BLEND BLEND BLEND!!! It will probably be a sort of thick mess. Probably a blueish color if you used blueberries in there. Optional, to make it layered, you can make one batch with less fruit for a lighter color and then layer the two colors.

This picture is the blended filling next to the bowl I soaked the fruit, dates and cashews into. Since I used my hands, my hands were red and it looked like blood. The blood of the fruit! AHHH!


I’m not running for food champion of the world.

Put this into your vessel. Top with some berries to make it look rustic rather than crappy – or like some maple syrup drops and refrigerate for a while. Maybe an hour? Maybe overnight.



Take out and enjoy some fruit and nuts the way God intended. Raw. Chilled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment