Jun 7, 2013

Wine Tasting

Mission Level: Success

Background
I have never been on a wine tasting - not like an official one. Every little wine shop and whatnot will let you
I didn't take this picture
sample wines, that doesn't mean you learn anything or that it's a real wine tasting.

Fast forward to my stupidly-handsome man-friend who really likes learning about wine and we are on a wine tasting adventure. It was actually his friend who found our exact location which was Sand Castle Winery.

Sand Castle Winery
The Winery is located in PA. Pennsylvania is not known for its wine, let me tell yous.

However, Sand Castle Winery sits on the type of soil best for growing grapes for wine and also right next to a river. All of this mimics the same conditions in places like Napa Valley. This makes a huge difference in the quality and type of wine. The company also started by building up the vinyard first, then they built the "castle" building. This means they function well as a business. Here is some history from the website:
From the parking lot
Sand Castle Winery, nestled on the banks of the Delaware River in historic Bucks County, Pennsylvania, is the purveyor of world class wines with a long and noble heritage.
Sand Castle's founders, Joseph and Paul Maxian, were born and raised in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, a region renowned for wine making before even the Romans ruled the world. 
In 1974 our family purchased a hillside property in Bucks County overlooking the Delaware River and our dream of Sand Castle Winery was born. In the early 1980s, we began construction of the winery building. Against all odds, and after decades of continuous effort, our Castle was finally completed in 2007.
Wine and Cheese
The tasting was done really well - we did the VIP Educational Tour which let us taste 11 wines. I have been
to some vineyards where they pour you a little wine and give you some crackers.

Not here.

First, 11 wines from tart to sweet with a little lesson about each. The guy also talked about what the labels mean - estate bottled vs.we bought the juice and bottled it here. Then we did experiments.

Love. Experiments.

We chewed on some rosemary and thyme and took a sip of wines. We even tried wine with a little lemon olive oil and wasabi. All this altered the flavor and really gave you a good idea of what foods would go with the wines. Suddenly, a wine I would never sip on my own became a must have for a certain dish I liked. I know most people know this, but, to really have it broken down was awesome. I'm very much a "sniff 'n' taste" type cook, this was right up my alley.

Also, I found a new cheese I must aquire - an espresso Asiago cheese. It was delightful! Thankfully, I can purchase this closer to home. Knowing my love of a fine cheese, though, it will be gone before I get it home.

Best conversation:
Handsome man-friend: Wait, you didn't even have breakfast.
Manda: *hiccup*
Wine cellar
Once we were done with the wine portion, the guy did takes us to where the store and bottle the wine. After a couple glasses of wine, it seems pretty impressive. He talked about the aging process and pointed out items he had talked about during the tasting - now with visuals.

In my picture over there, you can see the oak barrels where they age some of the wines - you can also see the stainless steel tanks where "naked wine" is produced.

Nope, did giggle at all. Just held on to the rail.

The Grounds
At the winery, they were set up for a wedding. We arrived around 11am and left around 3pm without a single sighting of a wedding happening. Ok, there was a some car decorated with "Here comes the Bride" and toil and whatnot - but I thought maybe they always had that setup to drum up more business. It is a very nice place for a wedding.

Beautiful
We did take some nice pictures - there are more, but, no one has sent any too me. Bummer.

My guy taking better pictures than me

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Wine label example from flavorofspain.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment