Jun 12, 2013

Photograph US Post Offices

I like sending mail, so, my enjoyment of the US Postal Service was a given. I also like that the US Postal Office is the "town center" wherever it is. It doesn't mean it is the actual place people want to go or cool stuff is around it, but, if you ever type in a town name or zip code, it will put you at the US Post Office.
Friend: Why do you say US Post Office? Did you feel the need to distinguish from the Canadian Post Office or something?
Me: Maybe.
So, the post office. 

Mission
I want to get as many photos of different post offices as I can. If I travel outside the US, I'd be all for getting other post offices. But, I'm in American, so, US Post Offices for now. 

I brought this mission up with my handsome man friend:
Him: How many pictures do you have?
Me: Two.
Him: I mean total.
Me: Two.
Seriously, why would I lie? In looking in my file, though, I actually have four. I was off because I didn't realize one came out and I thought I accidentally deleted another one.

What I Have So Far
Bally, PA
My most recent is Bally, PA (19503). Bally is a borough in Berks County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 1,090 at the 2010 census. I don't know why this information is important. I guess it means it's a small town. Unless you are in one room with 1,000 some people, then it's a lot of people.

As far as notable people - In 1912, Bally resident Annie Clemmer Funk, a Mennonite missionary to India, died during the sinking of the RMS Titanic. She was en route to Bally to visit her ailing mother, and reportedly gave up her seat in a lifeboat to another passenger or child.

That's a pretty good deed there, Annie. She was only 38 at the time.
I did get a drive-by of the Lake Placid, New York Post Office. It was in a bit of an awkward place and it is also a little hard to explain to Mr. Wonderful you need to stop the car NOW to get a picture of a US Post Office.

There are a lot of great things you can do in Lake Placid - the Post Office is not that far from great Olympic stuff - you can go Ice Skating and even Bobsledding in this sweet location.

Plus, look at that snow! I love a snowy day. You know. In winter. I like my summer, too.

I am not sure why the flag was at half mass. I feel like I should, but, I feel like maybe it was a local thing. It was December 23, 2012.

NY, NY
My third US Post Office was in New York City, New York when I went for one of my first vacations and birthday celebrations ever! I don't get a lot of birthday love 'cept from my parents.

I also lost some weight since then - so. . .this is a great picture. Also, the post office is huge. . .I couldn't get any other markings on it in the picture I was making my friend, Jeff, take.

Anyhow, this is the James Farley Post Office (10001), which was named that in 1982, is the main post office building in New York City. It was built in 1912, and is inscribed with: Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

The Farley Post Office is home to "Operation Santa", made famous in the classic 1947 film Miracle on 34th Street..

Paramus, NJ
My first US Post Office ever, well. it was Paramus, New Jersey (07652)I was lost at the time, I think. Paramus use to be settled by indigenous people - the Lenape people.

Not much really happened here. There was some military set-ups and an African-American colony for freed slaves throughout the Revolution and Civil Wars (respectively).

The city only got its act together in about 1970 - it had lacked any real planning before then.

So, behold, the NJ Paramus US Post Office.

Check-In Will Happen
Yep. Here we go! I'll update you on some of my photos and let you know a little about them. I think it might make for some good road trips. 

My man-friend has Prius. 

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment