May 25, 2016

Lyme Files: Burke

Dr. Burke, who was a Lyme Literal Doctor (LLD) during a time when that was career suicide and who saved my life died suddenly on November 16, 2010. I had seen him a few days before due to a relapse and he had just given me a new round of treatment.

I found out because I heard from a friend that there had been police and maybe an ambulance outside his office. I waited a day and called – dealing with crazy Lyme patients, these things were not odd.

His wife answered the phone and I casually asked if everything was ok.

My husband died last night.

I clicked into what Lyme had taught me, “Oh my God, I’m so sorry. Please let me know if you need anything.”

I don’t know if feeling nothing different from a moment before was normal or not. I called my Mom. And then I remember thinking – he’s gone.

My only friend, advocate, researcher, conversationalist and person who saved my life is gone. If I do not make it through this relapse or if I relapse again, I will die. My only connection to life which felt so sure and normal and real was gone.

Right now, today, this feels so selfish. His family was who was devastated. I could not be as devastated as that.

The patients who had just come to him, who were going to be coming, who had appointments and needed someone like this – I felt devastated for them. I was sending people to Burke - people who had a diagnosis of MS or Lupus and he found it was Lyme (not all of them, but over 50%).

I sat on my couch for a long time suddenly back to laying on my parents couch wondering how I was going to cope and survive in this body.

I did go to the funeral. Sitting in a sea of black and white PICC lines. Old, young – family and patients. I wanted in my heart to go to the luncheon after where people could share their stories of him. And I couldn’t.

I know it was scary for someone with borderline social skills. I know I didn’t want anyone to see me cry. Lyme taught me to hide the pain, the frustration, the tears and the rage. For everything this man had done for me and for everything I could do to help others like me – I lacked the courage and skill to do anything but run away.

Bernard S. Burke M.D. of Chester Springs
Bernard S. Burke, M.D., 57, of Chester Springs, died Tuesday, November 16, 2010. He was the husband of Ottavia P. Chiaradonna Burke. Born in Pottsville, he was the son of the late Bernard E. Burke and the late Angelene B. D'Antonio Burke.
Bernard practiced medicine for 30 years. 

He loved to ski, do water sports and many other outdoor activities. In addition to his wife he is survived by his children, Laura Rachko, of Upper Uwchlan, Christopher Burke, of Chadds Ford, Megan Burke, of State College, step-sons, Mario Miceli, of Unionville and Luca Miceli, of Unionville. He is also survived by two sisters, Jody Gaudet, of Mass. and Donna Burke, of Pa.

Relatives and friends are invited to his Funeral Mass, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, November 23, 2010, at St. Agnes Church, 233 W. Gay St., West Chester. Visitation will be 9 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, November 23, 2010, at the church. Interment private. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to Lyme Disease Assn. of Southeastern Pa., Inc., P.O. Box 181, Pocopson, PA

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment