Jul 29, 2015

Biking Adventures: Failing for Good Cause

I participated in the first, I think, Boob Ride in PA on July 11th (and just getting around to writing about it now).

It was a brutal course. I mean, I got a lot of emails saying it wasn't too late to change from the 30 miles I was doing to the 10. But, I figured, I could do it. Right? Even when I was talking to the people who use to do. .like. .the Olympics in. . everything and run marathons and stuff. . .who just thought to pick up biking. .probably should I figured I was out of my league.

Not this sassy flying fox! There I was, holding the sign!



Yeah - no pink for me - if you can't find me.


The course sort of looks like two boobs, by the way.


According to my calculations, I do that amount of climb and 10 miles more than what was listed. In the end, I was destroyed. I was with a pack of people, quickly had to stop and walk up hills and then ended up following the signs for the 10 mile ride in order to try to get home.

There was no Support and Gear (SAG) in this ride - but you always have an emergency number. I just did my best to power through what I could. I just couldn't get my breath, couldn't get into a rhythm - nothing. I was alone, too. No one came with me to ride or for support.

It was a BEAUTIFUL area and BEAUTIFUL ride. That was great. Lots of downhills. I did learn how to stand and petal, something I sort of was struggling with. I also learned I am not completely over my "street-panic" or panic that I will be stranded, lost or my adrenals will crash. I did make a few friends and got some laughs during a 2 mile climb.

I didn't really eat very good the week before this ride - I knew I would be hurting on some of the hills since my training routes tend to be a very gradual incline or no hills (or one big one and nothing else). So, that I can blame on me.

I do wish that someone had come with me - even to just enjoy historic Saint Peters Village which I had never heard of. I did take along my buddy, JJ - she lives in southern California and couldn't actually attend. I took these three pictures of me heading to the event:



Getting ready to ride:

And when I got back to my car. . .in defeat:


The only other really bad thing is that I had to take almost two weeks off from biking and go back on steady medication to combat the strain. It's always defeating to know your body is never going to be up for the tasks other people can go through.

I will also chalk this up to just, in general, having a horrible month in July and this toughness didn't help.

In the end, I did arrive back at my car and headed home.


0 comments:

Post a Comment