Jul 27, 2015

A Cause: Eating Disorders & Rewards

My company, like many, offer a free heath screen and you can also earn "points" to get money off your insurance premiums. It's not a bad set up. Ideally, healthy behaviors are rewarded and those who maybe didn't know their levels were wonky, can take up healthy habits. Or at least have a baseline should something go wrong.

A lot of the points are award for:

  • Doing a health screening (at the office or through a doctor).
  • Finishing everything early.
  • Good cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure body mass/waist measurements.
  • Complete two health coaching.

And. .a new one this year - lose 5% of your body weight from last year.

No one, I guess, though about this in anyway? But, there it is. Just lost 5% of you body weight from last year.


That's it. Nothing about what your weight from last year. Your current situation. Your other levels. Nothing. If you can drop 5% of your weight, you can get points.

I searched through all the materials to find the asterisk, the star, the caveat about the 5% not applying to those who have good levels and who do not need to lose any weight. What about the 0% body fat people - or the people gaining quality weight? What about those with eating disorders suddenly seeing this encouragement to lose more weight.

No one else seemed bothered by it, I just felt I should take a stand for the 30 million people who, at some point, will fight with an eating disorder. Or the super-athletic people who tip the scales to the "unhealthy" even they are actually very healthy - like, you know, the Rock who eats over 5,000 calories and has an unhealthy BMI at 6'4 and 260lbs. (Trust me, he's in top physical condition)


Anyhow - for both side of that spectrum, this company-oked metric is a good one for EVERYONE. I decided to voice my concern even if no one else cared or would. Maybe this doesn't matter to anyone.

I didn't want to discuss the intent, I wanted to explain the impact.

--------------------------
From: Me
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:53 AM
To: Company Health Care Person
Subject: Vitality Points Concern

Hello!

I had a question/concern about the vitality points (knowing you had nothing to do with the creation):



As someone who weight 135lbs last year and 133lbs this year, I did not hit this mark and lost out on these points.

However, as someone who is of a completely normal body weight (and all normal readings) why would I strive to lose the required 6.75lbs? I did have a gut infection earlier this year resulting in my weight plummeting to about 125lbs because I couldn’t eat or absorb nutrients. I’m can only imagine I would have to adopt a very unhealthy lifestyle to lose this 5%.

I realize the point is to encourage obese and overweight people to adopt a healthier lifestyle – but weight is hardly a good measure and not one I believe should be stressed in this way without other caveats.

People who struggle with eating disorders, live a healthy and consistent lifestyle, as well as those increasing mass through strength training are hit hard by this metric rather than being rewarded for being healthy.

Is this something that would be addressed or a message I can send on to someone who constructs these things?
--------------------------
From: Company Health Care Person
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:11 PM
To: Me
Subject: RE: Vitality Points Concern 

Hello ,

Thanks for your email. It would be best to go over this in person with your results booklet.
Can you head over now?

--------------------------
From: Me
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:07 PM
To:  Company Health Care Person
Subject: RE: Vitality Points Concern 

Sorry, I was in training. 

I don’t have any issue with my health or my results. I’m just pointing out the emphasis on losing 5% of your body weight as documented in the booklet does send a specific message that always losing weight will be rewarded.

--------------------------
From: Company Health Care Person 
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:22 PM
To: Me
Subject: RE: Vitality Points Concern 

I can see your concern especially with having had experience in this area. I would suggest to voice your concern with people services.

In fact, one of the wellness directors will be onsite tomorrow. Why not speak with him about it that way he can directly answer your questions? He will be in training rooms 1 and 2 for the duration of the screenings tomorrow

--------------------------

0 comments:

Post a Comment