Aug 18, 2012

Manda's Century: By My Bootstraps

The adrenal fatigue has got me. Like the Matrix. . only less fun.

I have my serious doubts about being able to complete this century at this point. When I tell this to people, they brush it off with some type of kind words or something otherwise useless. Not that I don't like support, but, being that I am the only person I know with the condition I have, I don't think I can get much support from anyone but myself. It's not a matter of will, it's a matter of if my body will shut down or not. That's a medical thing, my will or how in shape I am has nothing to do with it. 

Hell, I'm still trying to figure it out. Come on magic!

I might be able to pull it together and ride the century, but I am very worried about the consequences. I think I might end up requesting off for that Monday after, just to be safe. I am also debating my at what point will I have to pull over and stop. I am thinking when I start to struggle to breath.

Due to the AF, I have a lot of digestive issues and immunity problems. I have to watch what I eat and most foods I have been using as fuel are completely out. It's another struggle. 

I gave myself a week off, hoping getting back into it would inspire my system to behave. This hasn't been the case, unfortunately. Even as I sit here writing, I am having some trouble breathing and neuropathy from my ride yesterday. This might take days to recover from.

I did have an amazing discovery, though. Sea salt. Since my body gets ride of salt faster, and I don't eat much salt, I read up on being salt deficient. I tried a little and felt a lot better. So, now I'm all salty and ready to rock.

Rides
This is what I got in this week - a small 20 miles when I should be doing 80 or so. And, no, this is not a mistake. My long ride ended up being far shorter than my short ride. 

Short ride
Long ride
Falls
I also had my second fall. However, I landed in mud. A lot of mud. I was even much smarter about it - I saw the huge muddy area and picked a path already created. I unclipped should I need my feet and went in with a slow but determined pace. My problem was, my bike shifted and I pressed down on the pedal and clipped in. Then feel on that side. 

This pack was on my back the whole time
 I was basically submrged in mud. However, BEST FALL EVER. The mud was so deep, it was quite soft. 

A lot of people also said this didn't look like mud. I don't know where you all are from, but, depend on the minerals in the soil, you will get different colors. Really. Check out the Munsell Color System

Forward
I am not sure if I should take another week off. I have been thinking it would be best to do rest and try to recover rather than go through these horrible rides and horrible after affects. I'll figure it out. I still have to balance life with all of this. 

I would never back out of the century, of course. I don't know if I can complete it, but, I am certainly going to try - until my body reaches the point when it will give out and leave me broken for a couple months. Good thing I invested in my Road ID tags

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.


0 comments:

Post a Comment