Aug 8, 2012

Manda's Century: About September


Hi. Sorry. Hi.

It's a large
I know I missed a posting last week about my Century because, well, first I was lazy and then I didn't have much to report that didn't sound like a lot of self-pity. Now, I enjoy some good self-pity as much as the next person, but, I knew it would go away in a day or two. Then I was just lazy.

I also got my MS shirt - that'll perk up a bad mood. Knowing I am supporting a good cause is enough to make me forget my little issues.

Rides
My rides have been going as good as can be expected. It kills me to turn down offers by the Tour DaVita people when they go out for their training rides because there is a good mix of advanced and beginner riders. I feel helpful giving out tips I know when it comes to endurance riding and it's nice to be challenged by those who are more fit and compete in events.
  • September 3: I did 24 miles, but RunKeeper crapped out or I didn't hit "Start Activity."
  • September 16: I got out for 16.32 miles and felt pretty awful the next day. I had a late start since my ride on the 3rd was in the rain - a downpour! I had brought my clippy-shoes in to dry. Then when I was ready to head out, I found I forgot them and had to go back home to get them. I was tired the next day. Then again, I was on my feet for about 4 hours. 
  • September 8: I did 32 miles. I was hoping to do 30, so, 32 was a nice surprise. I feel pretty good. We'll see how tomorrow is.
Keep in my, my super-official training schedule says I need to be doing just under 30 for my short-rides and 50 for my long rides. Urg. 

Proof!
Lessons
I worry about my adrenals - a lot. I worry about what this ride is going to feel like days after. After the ride today, though, I have some hope. Things seem to be going well. I cut out my morning muffin because I think it might have some canola oil in it and I am staying away from PopTarts.

I can't have canola oil - messes me up. I tested positive for a sensitivity to it. Canola oil is also part of "vegetable oil" so anything with veggie oil I try to avoid. 

I will bring a ton of my gels to my century and make sure to avoid any baked goods or cookies or anything. Things like peanut butter can have veggie oil in it. Fruits are good and those gel shots. That's what I am going with. 

I also learned about drafting. Drafting is where cyclist ride one right behind the other. The cyclist in the front is actually doing most of the work and the cyclists behind can take a break while still crusin' along. Since I have been riding by myself, I never got to really feel this or understand it. When I was out with the Tour DaVita, I got behind our strongest rider and I did notice it was easier to keep up. Less wind and all that. 

Mind you, right before this, Scott (the dude I was drafting on) almost fell into me when we hit a patch of thin mud on the trail. 
Scott: Wow! I didn't see that mud. My back tire slipped a bit. I would have totally taken you out.
Manda: I would have failed that trust fall.
It was the other guy we were riding with, Paul, who asked about drafting, I believe. As Scott said, the rider behind has it about 75% easier. Wow.

My lesson here is, when I am riding this Century, to use drafting when I can. That will give my system a much needed break while still being able to book some miles. I figured, I can take my cortisol pills every rest stop along with some licorice extract for extra support.

Lesson Two: Drafting Etiquette!
When I was out at the end of August, just trying to enjoy biking and build my confidence back in my body, I came up behind a large fellow going at about 12mph. I was trying to stay at 14mph or lower. I ramped up to about 16mph to pass him (with a hearty "ON YOUR LEFT!") and passed him.

I would like to also say I love it when I see husky/fat/unfit/curvy/etc people out on the trail. I think it's great they are out there doing something to improve their health and to enjoy this wonderful trail and nature. I think it would be creepy, but, I totally want to yell some encouragement every time I see someone trying their best. I think it would be creepy.

Anyhow, I past this fellow and kept at my good clip to put some distance between us before I would go back to about 14mph.

Then I hear it. Noise.

Sometimes when you are working out, you make some rather perverted sounds. This is what I heard. "Whot. Phew. Yeah! Mmm. Hurmp! Urg!"

Whoa. I glance behind and see he is right on my tail. Right there. If he wasn't so bulky, I might not have been able to see him. This made me so uncomfortable. I am a lone girl on this path and there is no one around. I also don't know him. I don't like that he is there. I don't.

I jam it up to about 18mph in hopes that I will lose him or he will get the hint and back off. After all, pacing is key. More noise and he is right there. At one point, I guess to be nice, he warned me of a parked truck half way on the trail.

Yeah, ok, buddy. Now back off my butt!

Nope, he stays and I just push on hoping he is really out of shape and has to drop off. I can't even drop back because he is moving from directly behind me to a little too far to the left. I don't know where he is so to drop my speed to drop behind him would probably end badly. I'm really glad I just raged on rather than trying something. He did not know any biking etiquette.

I came up behind a group of riders who were out for a casual ride. I slow up a bit and get read to pass. My chunky friend pulls up awkwardly by my rear tire preventing me from passing the group in front of me and turns off on another track leading to a parking lot. In his haste, he makes me slam on my breaks, does not announce himself and cuts off two oncoming cyclists.

He let out a "WOO!" as he did.

Yeah, real great, dude.. You were on my ass without asking me, used my "jet stream" and then almost caused a major issue when you decided to turn off.

Now, the last time some guy was on my ass, he was nice enough to pull up next to me - with a good distance between - and say he was not stalking me but just going in the same direction and he didn't want to freak me out but we were going about the same speed.

He was good guy. Wished me luck on my century when I told him I was in training for it and eventually we broke off on separate paths.

I told Scott about this and he agreed it was rude to draft off someone you don't know without asking or saying something.

Etiquette, people. Etiquette

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion..

0 comments:

Post a Comment