Aug 11, 2012

Manda's Century: Back to Business

I went out for my first ride since July 28th on Friday. Thursday was my pick, but it was raining. I aimed for Saturday, but I had a family function to go to. Friday it was!

Slow rider

I thought 20 might be too much. I thought 10 would be a good mark. I did 15. Yays!

Mental State
I get a lot of people saying "you can do it" but it doesn't mean much to me because few people understand what I go through and the uncertainty of it all.

The ride did not start off good, I went to put air in my tires and now firmly believe I do not know how to work my air pump. I can't figure out how to clamp it on the tire without letting out all the air in about 5 seconds. Then I can never get it attached right to pump the tire up really well. Normally after about 20 minutes, I get it. I really need to work on this.

I tried to get into the mind set of just going out and having fun. Let me tell you, when your body is shutting down in certain parts, few things are fun. It was also very humid. But, once I got going, I felt pretty good.

Lessons Learned
My hands went numb after about 7 miles, this numbness had been there almost all the time and my break fixed it. I did some research during my "down time" and learned how in the valley of your palm you have tons of nerves. I also learned you have to keep your wrist straight to avoid worse damage. I don't think my wrists are straight when I ride and I can't really keep off my palm.

And my feet always go numb in the clippy-shoes. I'm not sure if they don't fit or I am set up wrong. I don't think I will figure it out anytime soon. It cost upward of $300 to get the whole clippy set-up and I am pretty sure I don't get returns or anything on it at this point.


Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment