Mar 15, 2013

Read Tarot Cards

A little something about me, I can read tarot cards. I’m not psychic but I can use the cards to pick up on energies around and give some insight into situations. This is a pretty cool parlor trick (I like to use the word parlor) and a lot of the time someone’s eyes will light up when I said I can read cards and s/he will want me to do a spread.

Then there is a lot of, “I don’t know, what can you do?” because a lot of people have no idea how the cards can be use.

But, let’s back up a bit.

History
Tarot cards actually have the same root as playing cards. In fact, you can play a number of games with tarot cards. So, all cards have the same origins and different countries, games and regions made their own decks with various designs and whatnot.

Then things got organized. In about the 15th century, most decks had four suits. The direction of tarot started in the 15th century, as well, and includes extra trump cards – also known as face cards. During this time, in Europe, the whole Spade, Hearts, Clubs and Diamonds got ironed out and the trump cards mimicked where determined to be the King, Queen and Jack.

Between classic decks and tarot decks, in general, you will always have four suits. However, a tarot deck will have about 78 cards where a classic deck has 52.

The Tarot
A tarot card deck is made of two decks that are rarely mixed:
  • Major Arcana: This is made up of 22 trump cards, each tend to be riddled with symbolism, numerology and depict both situations and people. This deck is normally used when a deeper understanding is needed. Think of these cards as being based on archetypes.
  • Minor Arcana: This is made up of 56 numbered cards and trumps (sometimes called court cards). There are normally four suits which also align to an element and theme. The numbered cards indicate a stage in a journey and each suit brings its own flare to that journey. Think of these cards are being more temporary and moving concepts.

A tarot deck design is non-standard. Most people know the Rider-Waite deck which is a popular French deck. I use a Thoth deck which had slightly different themes and meanings. 

Beyond that, if you picked up a Thoth or Rider-Waite deck, you could get one with any theme you wanted. Zombies, celebrities, cats, whatever – there is a probably a deck about it.

Tarot Spread
Once you get a hold of the cards in both decks, you need to learn spreads. A spread is merely how you lay the cards on the table – the position of the cards in a spread then tell you what the card is representing. The most common is the Celtic Cross but you can invent your own spread or even use the whole deck in one reading.

I have looked up a lot of spreads online and maybe have three or four memorized. Otherwise, I can always Google one I want to play with. Since I can’t retain everything, I do write little cheat sheets to help me out. Not professional, but, I only do readings for charity.

Tarot? Really?
You don’t have to believe in anything or something to use tarot cards. They are actually pretty nice to use when it comes to meditation. The brain is always looking for meaning and patterns in everything and all situations so using that instinct and reading cards can bring out thoughts, desires and warnings not seen before.

My Tarot
My first deck was the Rohrig Tarot which was created by Carl W. Rohrig. You won’t find it for the $20 I paid for it back in the early 1990s. It easily sells for over $100 used (check it out the Rohrig Tarot on Amazon.com). 

It’s a large (the cards are huge), modernized and beautiful Thoth deck. While not a deck for beginners, it was the only deck I had until this year. I find the cards very intricate and after spending a lot of time with them, I found I never have done a same reading twice - not with the position of the cards in the spread and the cards. 

In fact, whenever I think I have something all figured out, I can read a little more into it and find more angles. Then I just use what "feels" right when I am reading. 

Yep, even if you are not psychic, you got to use your intuition.

I also got the Housewives Tarot which is a little more whimsical and vintage and spoke to me. Not like in a super-deep spiritual way but in a way that made me want to buy it and try it out.

Both decks sort of lend themselves to certain meanings and things. I don’t always follow everything the books tell me when it comes to tarot since I think we each have our own feelings about the world.

Learning the Tarot
It's not very hard to learn the tarot but it can be as complex as you want to make it. There are hundreds of decks to start with and millions of spreads. Most decks come with a little book to let you know about the deck and what the cards mean. Then you can dig into any other aspect of astrology, numerology or whatever to gain more understanding.

I do spend some time researching tarot cards - the history, the meaning and the origins. I like to use sites like Aeclectic.net or Corax.com to shine some light on what the cards mean and how I can use them. I often read articles (for and against) tarot and look up stuff about different decks. 

Faith and Tarot
First, yep, I'm Catholic and I read cards. I'm really banking a lot on being funny and getting into Heaven that way rather than by, you know, following the rules. I read about it on CatholicEducation.org [and yes, they spelled "scripture" wrong, that's not me]:

If I lived back in the day
To try to discover the future through tarot cards, palm reading, ouija board or some other form of fortunetelling, or to try to control the future through black magic, witchcraft or sorcery violates the first commandment. Keep in mind that fortunetelling is inherently linked with the practices of the occult. Sacred Scriptue has many condemnations of these activities: In the Old Testament we find, "A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortune-teller shall be put to death by stoning: they have no one but themselves to blame for their death" (Leviticus 20:27), and "Let there not be found among you anyone who immolates his son or daughter in the fire, nor a fortuneteller, soothsayer, charmer, diviner, or caster of spells, nor one who consults ghosts and spirits or seeks oracles from the dead. Anyone who does such things is an abomination to the Lord..." (Deut 18:10-12).

It's a good thing my devastatingly handsome gentleman caller takes me to church every week. But, in all seriousnesses, I know since I do it, I am going to defend it and find reasons for it not to be a sin. However, in my heart of hearts, I'm not thinking there is such a thing as witchcraft.

I also mentally go, "OMG, change is coming!" whenever I see a raven because seeing a raven means change is coming. I don't really think I'm going to burn in Hell for that.

I think God is a little more powerful than me looking at some artwork on cards.

Doing a Reading
It is very easy to "people hack" or to read someone to tell them what s/he wants to hear. I have had people who are very open and tell me a lot of stuff and some who shut down in order to prove I cannot read them. I don't actually try to tell people what they want to hear, I do focus on what the cards mean and the position they are in. Sometimes, it's not good.

I am not psychic but I do go a little on feeling when I am reading. There are energies around us and many things we cannot explain, so, why not go on intuition when you can? Sometimes, I think it is helpful. Again, as I wrote about the brain always trying to find patterns, if I can help and guide someone into a place they had not thought about before, maybe that is all that s/he needs. I would like people to walk away from my table with a new perspective.

I know some readings I feel stronger about things that others.

I will say this - there are no "bad cards" in the tarot. There are warnings and there are missteps but we all have free will and can change the pattern of our actions. Many people know of the Death Card - it's not really a bad thing. Most people thin the Devil Card is bad - again, not always. Tarot is a lot like life, you think something is a bad sign, but, in the end, it could be the best thing that happened. We deal with defeat, loss and heartbreak and those exist in the cards - do does hope, rebirth and perseverance.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Celtic Cross from Occult100
Rohrig Tarot image from moonlightcounseling
Men ready to stone someone from dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment