Jul 14, 2012

Manda's Century: To Bonk or Not to Bonk

In cycling, there is this thing call the "bonk." I think you bonk. Or you are bonking. Not to be confused with headbonks which are great.

Love!
Thank God there is Urban Dictionary!
Bonk: Expression used by cyclists to describe excercise induced low blood sugar levels; being a feeling of light-headedness and weakness in all limbs. Similar to 'The Wall' in running. Has fallen out of usage in recent years due to alternative meanings.
Anyhow, to avoid the bonk I have been eating PopTarts, as any of you who follow me know. It's awesome. I think a lot of the "wall" I was hitting had something to do not eating enough. Before it was not drinking enough.

Ride Stats
I think I missed last week and maybe the week before, that's fine. as of July 21st, I'm in my 10 week program. In July, so far, I have been trying to get into the habit and mileage of riding three times a week. I am super lucky because a lot of my co-workers are training for Tour DaVita which is a 200-plus mile ride over the course of two or three days. It raises money for kidney disease and helps people get treatment.

With that in mind, I had company for two 20 mile rides which made them much more enjoyable. Plus, I got to feel and get use to riding close to other people. My speed dropped a little because the first 20 mile ride was with some people who were just starting. It was a new trail close to were I work. I even got another lap in (hence 28) with one of the directors.

That 5 miles was tough!
I thought I would have company for my long ride, and get in a good 50. After the two 20+ miles, though, I was thinking I should take it easy. Most of the crew were going to the beach. It rained most of the night but by 10am (meeting time) it had cleared. No one showed up. No worries! Off I went, texting that it was beautiful and lovely and things like "you ain't made of sugar, you won't melt!"

BOOM!
So, I got caught in the rain. I tried a new trail I sort of stumbled on. I hung out under a bridge for a bit with some other riders, but, 20 miles from home, I was as wet as I could get so I headed back out. I can't even tell you how dirty I was. I had gravel in my ears and other. .areas.

So, about 39 miles later, I got back into the non-rain and my car and a nice, hot shower. And the leftover French dip sandwich Mr. Green Eyes left in my fridge.

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

Image Credit
Bonks from catswhotwitter.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment