Jul 1, 2012

Manda's Century: The Heat!

Hello heatwave, thanks for reminding me what "oppressive heat" is.

I set out (late) for my endurance ride after getting out 0 times this week. I took Monday off and went fishing with my Dad and Uncle.

Bobbers away!
And then Tuesday I chopped my hair for Locks for Love

Send to Locks for Love
Wednesday I took off because I was tired of all the running around. Thursday I was out with my old co-workers for drinks (Remember them from my Goodbye Job post?). By Friday I ran around doing errands I couldn't do during the week. . .which brings me to Saturday.

13 miles short of goal
On Friday, I got another badder to carry in my hydration pack. To give some background, the actual century is well supported, however, my training rides are not. I need to carry everything I have with me since once I am about 10 miles out, there are no facilities/water.

Many bike-shop people tell me about water bottles. I don't want to have water bottles and hot water and cages and all this crap. I am not balanced enough to reach down and grab that water. I like my pack.

Anyhow, they don't make dual hydration packs (that I have found) and the biggest I have seen for sale is 3 liters. I can carry two badders (2 liters each) in my pack. This means I carry about 8lbs of water (maybe about 10-12lbs total on my back) and that sort of made a weird difference. I was thinking about getting a rack for the back of my bike to carry other stuff - water, First Aid, snacks, mace, camera, tire parts, midget. . .

I brought along PopTarts this time and managed to eat about half of one while I was on my ride. It was a little hash and my tummy did hurt. However, once I pulled up by my car, I found that I was far less stupid than normal. They do work. I just need to learn to eat more.

I then noticed my rear gears were not working. I stopped by my bike shop and my buddy fixed up Docle as good as new. It ended up it was just the normal stretching of the cables. I need to take a bike maintenance class soon.

I was 13 miles short of my 55 mile goal, but, I found myself getting the chills in the heat which is not good. I drank  2.5 liters of my 4 liters of water and decided I need to drop in some extra hydration tables. However, on the upside, my average speed was 14mph from 12mph. Nice!

I think I was going faster, I kept my speed around 17mph but I kept Runkeeper going during breaks (it auto stops) to get in more minutes due to this Match the Mayor thing I am doing at work. I will fail at it because the goal is to get everyone to do 30 minutes of activity a day. I do 50 minutes two times a week plus 4 hours on Saturday. So, I am a failure in the program because of my inability to do 30 minutes everyday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment