Jul 22, 2012

Manda's Century: Clips and Crash

Well, do to my work retreat/conference/personal growth thing I was at Sunday-Tuesday, I didn't have a chance to really bike during the week. I did get out for a 50 mile ride on Saturday. And I got clips.

10 Week
It's go time, people. July 21st was 10 weeks until the MS City to Shore. I feel like I can do the 50 easily, but, I hope I can do the 100. My training rides are not supported, so, makes it hard for me to determine. I need to work hard to get a little more in shape and get some serious miles in.

By the way, I have lost 0 dress sizes and 0 weight. I have a nice roll, still. AH!

Bad, Good, Bad, Good
I headed out Saturday for my ride but when I got to the park, my back tire was flat. I lacked the skills (and tube) to repair so I had to go home and then to the bike shop. Since I was in about a flat before, I told them I think I got both on soft gravel. They know the trails I ride and suggested I pump up my tires more to avoid these issues. In fact, the last flat I had seemed to be more of a tube defect than really a puncture.

While they were fixing my flat, I asked about getting clips.

Bam, I got clips. That was a nice $250 expenditure. They also promised me I wouldn't fall and if I did it would be on grass and everything was great.

I played with clipping and unclipping during my ride. On mile 49.7 - I hit a patch of gravel while turning and hit the pavement. Hard.

PITY ME!
So, what's falling like? First, getting use to the heel-cock to get your foot out doesn't take that much time. I didn't have any time when I fell. The danger is you stop, if you don't stop, you won't fall. Mostly. I was wearing gloves and a helmet which everyone on a bike should be wearing. The issue is my knee hit the pavement and the rest of the bike fell on top of me and then my feet were still attached to the petals. I got loose, of course, made sure I was in one piece, walked a couple steps and rode back to my car. After all, you got to keep going.

I was stiff and banged up from it more than I thought, but, other than the cut on the front of my knee and the bruise on the side, no real damage. My elbow got it a little, but. .nothing you can see a day later.


Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment