Jul 29, 2012

Manda's Century: Maybe I'm an Athlete?

I had a bum week. Beyond a bum week, actually, a hardcore bum week. My adrenals and I did not have it in us to complete half of what I wanted to.

Urg. URG!
My Short Ride
My short rides should be at about 20 miles. I got in one ride of 7 miles on Wednesday. I felt awkward with the clips, I couldn't get my speed above 15mph. I just felt like I was struggling. I wanted to puke. I did my best but as the fatigue came in and whole digestive tract growled, I turned around and headed back to the car totally disgusted in myself.

My Long Ride
I thought I would have been able to knock out a good 40+ miles on Saturday. I got up to 17 miles and that was it. Fatigue hit hard and I almost fell asleep while riding. I just couldn't do it. I didn't have it in me. I turned around.

However, the clips felt better - still awkward and I felt like I was trapped more than before. I felt the shoes were a little more broken in. It's good to look at the positives.

Sunday Breakfast
I had breakfast with my parents and reviewed my adrenal situation and progress. It's nice to get their input because they are the only two people who really get what I have been through. They also tell it like it is.
Dad: Listen, you have to understand that you are at at level few people get to. You are going to be tired and you are going to hurt. All athletes do. 
My Dad, by the way, is an athlete. He got to college on a football scholarship and still works out and runs and lifts. Anyhow, I had never thought of myself as any type of athlete. I was told riding a century was pretty easy to most people. I assumed any failures I had, minus the adrenals, were because I was weak, not because what I was doing was hard.

So, maybe I am some type of scrappy athlete. I don't feel like one this week.

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment