Apr 15, 2012

Manda's Century: The Push and the Pride

So, I didn't post last week on my century struggles because it was a bad week. I did try to go out for a long ride and due to some (ahem) biological issues, I had to turn back and scrap the day.
Confidence returning after a ride

This week was much better. On my new bike, I have felt a boost of riding confidence because the amount of work I had been putting in on my mountain bike never seemed to get me anywhere - mileage wise. On my road bike, I am flying and really racking up the miles.

Additionally, a lot of the fear has subsided in my belly now that I am finding I can book the miles. The road bike was probably one of the best decisions I have made. Just to give some perspective, the worst decision I have made was testing out my mace while there was a head wind and successfully macing myself. Once I got feeling back in my face, I licked my arm to see if the mace lingers on the skin. Let me assure you, it does. Ouch!

However, here are my stats for this week - one short ride of 10 miles (!!!) and my 25 mile ride.



Saturday, I was totally looking forward to. It was perfect weather and I was able to keep my speed at 14mph for the entire ride - actually, I had a good stretch of 16mph. Then I had a good stretch of slowing down over rough terrain and to avoid other people out on the trail.

I did end up having some pain in my hip and the back of my knee. What can you do? Work through it. It happens. My legs felt good, worked and a little tired, but good.

Afterwards, I figured I would rest - until I was able to help a friend go shopping for items for her baby shower. I ended up getting home at 7pm. . .then went out for a drink with two other friends. It was a long but fun day and I am glad my body didn't collapse. I did take some medication this morning to help cope.

I should also point out I am also alert for stress - both for work, where I am going to be teaching for the first time and then because I met a great guy this week and I am hoping I didn't blow it and can get a second date. Putting yourself out there can be stressful and I need to be conscience of how my system is responding.


Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment