Apr 1, 2012

Manda's Century: Focus!

25 weeks until century aweomeness!

Staring Down Fear
I spent a lot of posts explain my fear of my body breaking down. On Wednesday, I went to my doctor and told him about my century ride and training. He was all for it and approved me for everything. I am back on medication, mild dose of  Hydrocortisone to support the low cortisol issue I have and I am on a new supplement - licorice extract. Licorice contains a chemical called glycerrhizinic acid which aids in a slower breakdown of cortisol. I am suppose to make sure I have the licorice and Hydrocortisone when I am riding to give me any needed boost during activity. Or, actually, any stress.

Ridin'!
Back to riding! I had a good week, I got out twice. I did this on purpose. I can't afford to be totally worn out at work, and work is an additional stress. 

Pushing it a little more past my 6!
But, I do love biking.

This ride was cold, fun and easy!
New Bike?
That's right. I went out on Sunday and talked to a guy about a new bike. Then my parents came out with me to check out new bikes. I test drove a lot of road bikes and the difference is beyond amazing. No wonder people look at my paltry mileage with doubt. On a road bike, I could easily be doing 10-15 miles.

I was surprised how little I felt on these bikes. Jazzy and I felt like we took up a lot of space. These bikes feel like narrow Arabians next to a Friesian or driving a two-door car next to a Hummer. 

I test drove some $3,000 bikes and some $300 ones. If it was a road bike, it was smoother than Jazzy. I did really like this $2,000 Scattante bike and this $900 Specialized one. I think, I might go with the Specialized brand, but, I might need another test drive. 

I feel like it's a good choice to get this bike and might as well get it now. 

Rebellion
All the bike guys were excited to talk to us, especially when I told them I had no clue what I was doing and I was doing a century. I like help. . just, every now and then I hate it. All the bikers wrote down their bike club names and where they meet and how I should come out. 

I don't want to join your bike club.

My Mom really wants me to join one. 

I really do not. Why? Because, as I figure, I have had so little control over everything in my life and everything that has happened to me. While I enjoy my work, it's someone else telling me how to do things and when to do them. My body still does whatever it wants no matter what I do. I needed biking as a place where all the decisions are mine. When I ride, who I ride with, where I go, when I stop, when I push - it's me and the bike and the road. All the decisions and consequences are mine. 

If I join a club - then it is meeting somewhere, riding together on someone else's route, looking out for someone else and keeping in line with everyone. 

I just don't want that right now. Maybe someday. Just, not tight now. 


Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment