Apr 29, 2012

Manda's Century: Rise and Shine

This week came with a couple nice surprises. First, I changed up my schedule to a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday ride and I found this might work out much better. Originally, I was worried about not being strong enough for my long ride on Saturday, so getting out Monday/Wednesday and then resting seemed like a good idea.

However, having a little extra rest after the long ride is probably a much better idea. Also, it gives me more time during the week to get stuff done. I like getting stuff done.

My second discovery was the corporate gym. It's a small gym, but, no one is there, really. At least not on Thursday. Since it was going to rain on Thursday, I took my workout gear to work and did about 9 miles on the stationary bike. Here is what I learned:
  • I go faster on the stationary bike than in real life at 18mph.
  • The stationary bike doesn't seem to be as hard as a real ride.
  • My butt really hurts.
There is other equipment I can use, so, I am looking forward to getting a little stronger and maybe spending a day in the gym. Not like I have a relationship to work on or anything. Just the cats. 

So, here is what I did this week.




Other Thoughts
I did have a friend tell me a century is easy, just get use to the bike and sitting on it for four to five hours. 

At my current rate, it will actually take me over 6 hours, without breaks. Also, I am fighting a different battle with my adrenals that no one I ever met or know has ever had. I'm sort of learning as I go - even though I was told I should try yoga or maybe eating some combo of food. 

Man, if it was that easy. 

My method is simple:
  • Listen to my body. 
  • Challenge my limitations. 
  • Take my medications/supplements.
  • Learn to cope with crashes and neuropathy.
  • Don't get mad. 

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment