Dec 12, 2014

Things I Eat: Chicken Teriyaki

My man-tiger loves the Chinese buffet but it's a no go for me. Saddly. I love a good buffet.

Anyhow, since I'm going to have to make him happy, I figured I better make a teriyaki sauce. And one that I can eat, too...because...whoa.

And something simple because he's going to learn how to make it so I can have a delicious dinner made for me. Yays marriage.

Making teriyaki this is far easier than people think. It's just the flavors of soy and sugar - basically. Maybe some rice vinegar. I like to use ginger - and nothing fermented because I can't have yeast. You don't need to go out or buy strange bottles of stuff, you CAN make it yourself!

I also found these sprinkle-able onions, and while they contain wheat and possibly soy - ONIONS!!

And yes, I would eat an onion raw.

My face is bad
Seriously - sorry about the face. I was using some modeling tips - this is how to be sexy around onions. Oh, and I forget how I look to polite society sometimes.

What You Need
  • Onions: ONIONS
  • Soy sauce: I use Braggs Liquid Aminos, it's free of wheat, yeast, mm. . .yeah. It's a little saltier than normal soy sauce,  but still good. It is made from soybeans, but, I can deal. I cannot deal with yeast.
  • Brown sugar: Sugar, sugar. Heeeeey, sugar, sugar.
  • Ginger: I use the only Gourmet Gardens produce I can, the ginger which is dairy-free.
  • Garlic: I got some minced garlic in a jar. It's my eye of newt! 
  • Coconut oil: Oil of the Gods!
  • Cornstarch: For thickening. It's a texture thing.
  • Chicken: Vegan? Don't use this. I don't know how you live. Maybe some tofu? I don't eat tofu.
  • Broccoli: The frozen is fine. You can roast it, if you are a go-getter. Or just nuke it in the 'wave.
  • Rice: I made it in my rice cooker with a healthy swig of sesame oil for flavor. 

What You Do
To make the sauce, chop up about a cup of onions. Or less. Saute that for a bit so they start getting a little transparent. They will cook longer, so, don't get all bent out of shape about it. The picture below is of onions and red peppers because I didn't actually take a picture. Or. . .you know. .any pictures.You could totally put red peppers in it. I didn't. I just feel like pictures make it seem like I know what I'm doing.


Add 1/4 cup of your soy sauce, brown sugar and water. Yep - 1/4 of each. Simmer this for a while. Let it get all melty and simmery together. Maybe while your chicken is cooking? 

I used chicken breasts so I roasted them for 20-30 minutes. Cook up your chicken and broc and rice during this time. Normally, the rice takes the longest and the broc the shortest.

At the end, I added in an inch squeeze of ginger to my sauce and a sprinkle of cornstarch to thicken it up. The secret with cornstarch is to take a little bowl of super hot sauce and dissolve it in there first before adding it. That will help you avoid lumps.

Add your topping of crunchy onions or combine as you see fit - all together, on the side, layered.  

Live!!!!


NOM

0 comments:

Post a Comment