Mar 25, 2016

Things I Eat: Roast Lamb

I believe I have lamb in my life. Not often thought. Meat in my family consisted of beef and chicken and sometimes pork.

So I was pumped to find a boneless lamb shank at Trader Joe's without any sauce on it.

First, meat is not the cheapest at Trader Joe's. I find fresh meat and canned food is not a deal there. But I like the quality. I also like their frozen meats. Just saying.

For sides, I did use Trader Joe's asparagus and then Hasselback potatoes.

What You Need

  • Lamb: I got a boneless lamb shank, about 3lbs.
  • Onions: Love.
  • Garlic: Love.
  • Bourbon: I was drunk at the time.
  • Potatoes: You can use any type you like, I used Red Bliss because I like them. 
  • Olive Oil: Woop!
  • Smart Balance Butter: I can't have dairy or soy, so I use the Soy Free spread. It's not fantastic for you or for me, but, whatever. 
  • Asparagus: You just nuke it.
  • Thyme: I had some left so I put it in there.


What You Do
I roasted my lamb in my French Oven (dutch oven) with onion and lots of fresh thyme. I roasted it at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Then I reduced the heat to 375 and poured boubon over it. I cooked it per instructions, about 25 minutes per pound.

For the potatoes - super easy!

Hassleback potatoes are really just a style of potato. You cut these thin lines in them so you get this crusty, crunchy hard top and soft inside. It's really good.

I used a chopstick next to the spud - that kept me from cutting all the way through. I found it was easier to keep the chopstick on the far side of the potato so the knife touched it as I cut. That kept me from cutting all the way through. Then I drizzled them with olive oil and popped them into my toaster for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. After 30 minutes, I brought them out and seasoned with garlic, onion and the fake-butter since the taters had opened more. Then I put them back in for another 30.

Success!


I promise to do better with the whole. . .blog. .thing.


post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment