Mar 18, 2016

Things I Eat: Pasta Gypsy Stew

What is a gypsy stew? I have made a couple - they are pretty much one pot meals with. .whatever. (You can read more in my Cook For Others post or even my Wonder Pot post)

Also, why can't I put green beans in my pasta? Why can't you? I can. You can. It's awesome!

What You Need

  • Chicken thighs: I used about three chicken thighs because I like the flavor of dark meat. You could use white meat, sausage, anything, really. Or not use meat at all. Live!
  • Onion: I used one whole onion. Sauted in some olive oil.
  • Quinoa noodles: I like a good noodle, I got this Brown Rice & Quinoa Spaghetti pack from Trader Joe's. It's a good noodle. Even has a little flavor. I used about half a pack.
  • Green Beans: Frozen and from the Joe's. I just throw in handfuls like a boss. Sometimes, I remember to snap them in half.
  • Diced Tomatoes: I used the big can, I think it is 28 oz.
  • Spinach: Spinach cooks down super fast, I used about half a 9 oz bag.
  • Kale: Did you know we had kale? I threw that in there.
  • Seasons: I used a ton of the following - Basil, thyme, sage, garlic, paprika, oregano
What You Do
I'm glad you asked! Very simple! First, I made my noodles because I don't know how quinoa noodles behave. I suppose I could have read the package, but. . .I didn't. I also only cooked them in water. If you have plain ol' noodles, cooking them in a broth is the best. 

While the noodles were noodling, I sauted my onions with some garlic and a mess of seasonings. When the onions started to get transparent, I added in my cut up chicken thighs so they could cook. Once they were pretty much done but still raw, since I have more cooking to do, I added the diced tomatoes and green beans

I let all that simmer and cook and all that until the noodles were done. Then I added in the chopping spinach by the handful and added more as it reduced. Then I added in the kale at the very end.

I only used maybe half of the noodles I made - I mixed them in, seasoned a little more to taste and. . VOLA!




Here, a piece of kale.



post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment