Nov 13, 2011

Manda's Century: The Ghost and the Darkness

This week was more about discovery than actually booking miles. In spite the general aches and pains (ghosts) and the difficulties I am having getting out with daylight savings time (darkness), I have pleanty of spunk left for my Cheesey Smile and Thumbs Up™.
80% of pictures of me look like this

While I love winter, and darkness - the cozy way I feel in my apartment when it is dark outside or the slightly naughty feeling I get when I'm running errands in the dark - it's not really helping me with biking.

I engaged in my first night ride. Most people were telling me to be careful and carry a light. Well, I found quickly the two real problems with riding at night:

  • Even with a headlamp, it's hard to see road debris and potholes.
  • Car headlights are absolutely blinding.
I was either in total dark (no real street lights) or unable to see because a car was coming and until they were past me, I couldn't see. 

I, of course, am well-lit. I have the Cateye EL-135 and TL-LD130R Bicycle Headlight and Tail Light Combination as well as a Fiber Flare that looks really cool. And my headlamp (link to a one close to what I have).

Anyhow, this first night ride was pretty stressful. I kept having to pull over or have my brain burned out of my skull by passing cars. 

I didn't die
I didn't get out again that week because it was too dark. However, my bike buddy had a great idea about doing laps in the well-lit, mostly abandon corporate parking lot not that far from me. I can image being pulled over by security and told to get off the private property. But, it's worth a shot. I can't go on the public path at night, I can't ride on the street without being killed - what's a girl to do?

The weekend ride was better. My bike buddy and I did the "Rocky Ride" which is what I call the ride from Conshohocken to the Philadelphia Museum of Art where the world-famous Rocky statue is. 

Of course, I had to turn off RunKeeper, so I got two reads for one day. And probably about a mile off because I forgot to re-record. But, it was a beautiful day, lovely ride and I guess they close down part of the road so we had less cars to deal with. How lovely! There was one point, for a couple miles, that there wasn't another soul on the road - just me, my awesome bike buddy, the pavement and sky (and a lot of wind!)

Ride - Part 1
Ride - Part 2
So, I did about 25 miles. Which is about 10-15 miles less than my normal long-ride.

Let's not forget, you got to get your picture taken with Rocky. I saw a newly engaged couple, Asian business men and a family from Germany all take their pictures with Rocky (and run up the Rocky stairs). It's just something you have to do. 

If a little guy from Philly can do it. . .
Thoughts
Of course, the whole night-time riding things needs to be worked out.

I also have been having a lot of foot problems. Just feels like all the bones in my feet are broken. Also my fingers. And my wrists. Maybe this is from riding, but, I don't think I am a serious enough rider to have any complaints. We'll see if it just goes away on its own. I think the fact that my feet hurt might be neurological since my toes twitch and generally seem to be spazing out. 

My first fix was to just take more minerals and vitamins to make sure it's not due to malnutrition. It seemed to help. I take the following supplements:
I can't do much about re-evaluting my $10-a-day food habit - minus eating on Wednesdays and Sundays to give me an extra $20 a week to cover other expenses. 

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.


Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment